The Department of Civil Engineering offers First Class Scholarships to eligible UK and EU undergraduates. Applicants must achieve A*AA at A-level in approved subjects, including A* in A-level Mathematics or Further Mathematics. International Baccalaureates of 36-37 points or the best three grades in suitable HL subjects will also be considered. The First Class Scholarship has a value of £5000 on entry.
Other qualifications equivalent to A-levels will be considered – please contact the Admissions Tutor to find out the criteria.
Terms and conditions
- Only A-levels in APPROVED SUBJECTS count towards the Scholarship. The approved list contains subjects which are considered to be intellectually challenging (all sciences, modern languages, history, geography etc.). It excludes general studies, media studies etc. For confirmation about the status of any subject, please contact the Admissions Tutor.
- The Scholarship is awarded in the student’s year of entry to the Department of Civil Engineering (i.e. the academic year 2017-2018).
- Students who were not awarded the Scholarship on entry will not be eligible for it in subsequent years.
- Students in receipt of scholarships from organisations other than the University of Birmingham are also eligible for this award.
- There is no special application process for the Scholarship. Awards will be made automatically to all eligible UK and EU students admitted to the Department of Civil Engineering in September 2017.
- The University’s decision as to whether a qualification is equivalent to A*AA or above at A-level is final.
- Conditions are subject to change. Awards are made to candidates who meet the terms and conditions current at the time of entry to the University.
Launched in 2012, the BP STEM Scholarships are intended to encourage and support students with a passion for certain STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Maths) subjects.
Each year BP will offer scholarships to up to 10 students from the University of Birmingham. Each scholarship is worth up to £20 000 with scholars receiving £5000 per year for the duration of their degree (up to four years). The scholarship is not intended to cover fees but offer students support with the costs of resources and living. Learn more about the BP STEM scholarships
The University offers a range of Scholarships including Music and Sports Scholarships for students who excel in these areas.
Building Birmingham Scholarship
Are you thinking of going to a local college or university to study a built environment related subject? If yes, you could be eligible for up to £9,500 worth of funding.
The Building Birmingham Scholarship provides access to a wide range of education, employment and training opportunities for talented young people aged between 16 and 24 years of age wishing to pursue a career in the construction and built environment sectors; as well as financial support for those aspiring to continue studies at higher education level at college or university on relevant courses. Up to £9,500 of funding is available; learn more: Building Birmingham Scholarship (pdf 300 KB).