'Your local geology'
We are inviting entries to the 2016 Geology Photography Competition at the School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences. The competition is open to all those currently studying GCSEs, A-levels or equivalents, and this year’s theme is 'your local geology'.
All shortlisted entries will be displayed at a temporary exhibition in the Lapworth Museum of Geology in Summer 2017. Finalists will be invited, with their schools, to the opening event of the exhibition.
- Winning entry prize: £100 individual Amazon voucher, plus £100 Amazon voucher to the school/college.
- Runner up prize: £50 individual voucher, plus £50 Amazon voucher to the school/college.
Closing date: Friday 10 March 2017
Download the competition poster (PDF 5MB)
How to submit an entry
Photographs must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by a geography/geology teacher, head of year or other member of teaching staff at the school or college at which the photographer is currently a student.
- One submission is allowed per person
- All submissions must be original entries (not submitted to any other photography competition).
- There is no limit to the number of entries that can be submitted by an institution.
All submissions must include in the email the following details:
- Photographer full name:
- Photographer age:
- School/college name and address:
- Name and position of submitting teacher or staff member:
- Staff member email address:
- Title of photograph (including location and date):
- Caption of photograph (fewer than 100 words):
Photograph file requirements:
- Please include the surname of the photographer in the file name.
- Photographs must be submitted at a minimum resolution of 300 dpi and in a .jpg format (maximum file size 10 MB).
Terms and conditions
- By submitting a photograph to the Geology Photography Competition 2016 the photographer is agreeing to the Terms and Conditions of the competition and is giving the University of Birmingham the right to use and reproduce the photograph, including display in the Lapworth Museum of Geology. The photographer will be credited in any subsequent use of the photograph.
- The photographs will be judged on their relevance to the theme, the image and the corresponding caption. The competition will be adjudicated by a panel of judges led by staff in the School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences and the Lapworth Museum of Geology. The judging panel’s decision is final.
- The competition is open to any individual currently studying GCSE, A-Level or equivalent courses at any secondary school, college or other further education institution in the UK.
- If the photograph contains images of children under the age of 16, it is the responsibility of the entrant to seek their permission to submit the photograph.
- All prizes are non-transferable.
- The competition is not open to staff of the School of Geography, Earth or Environmental Sciences or their immediate family.
- The panel will reject any images they deem to be inappropriate.
- Only photographs submitted with complete submission details, as listed above, will be accepted.
- Only photographs submitted as .jpg files will be accepted.
- Photograph file size and resolution: min 1MB / max 10MB / min resolution 300dpi.
- Young people aged 16 and under must gain permission from their parent or guardian before submission.
- Winning entrants will be contacted via the person (teacher, head of year or other staff member) who submitted the entry, in April 2017.