School: School of Government and Society
Department: Department of Political Science and International Studies
Final year module
The dissertation is your chance to study a topic of particular interest to you. You decide on the topic which should have some relevance to politics or international studies.
The aim is to apply the knowledge (theory and techniques) you have acquired over the past two years. It gives you a chance to demonstrate your ability to work on your own, acquire knowledge about a specialised area of study, use your initiative in the collection and presentation of material, undertake a thorough review of the literature, draw appropriate conclusions and present a clear, cogent argument. The dissertation may involve the presentation of new knowledge or the use of primary sources, but this is not an expectation.
On successful completion of these linked modules students will be able to demonstrate an ability to:
- Work independently in specialised research in the fields of Social Science (Political Science, International Relations, Political Economy and/or Sociology);
- Use their initiative in collecting and presenting material;
- Undertake a thorough review of the literature in the chosen specialised field;
- Draw appropriate conclusions from assembled data;
- Present a well-structured dissertation employing the appropriate academic conventions.
- Continually supervised 100% The final dissertation word length is an absolute maximum of 12,000 words.
The modules listed on the website for this programme are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by the latest research and teaching methods. Unless indicated otherwise, the modules listed for this programme are for students starting in 2017. We aim to publish any changes to compulsory modules and programme structure for 2018 entry by 01 September 2017 and recommend you refer back to this page shortly after that date for any changes. On rare occasions, we may need to make unexpected changes to compulsory modules after that date; in this event we will contact offer holders as soon as possible to inform or consult them as appropriate.