Poverty reduction, security, climate change and governance are critical issues for the 21st Century. Study with us to gain the skills and knowledge essential for working in international development.
Flexible programme design and individual fieldwork for the Masters dissertation (on-campus degrees) ensure that International Development Department (IDD) meets a wide range of students’ interests.
Study from anywhere in the world with practitioners in government, civil society and the private sector as well as with people new to development.
Masters by distance learning
Our range of taught on-campus Masters degrees offers highly flexible programmes with a wide choice of specialisms.
- We asked six leading academics for their expert opinions on this week's Autumn Statement and the likely impact it could have on everything from taxes to local service provision, the high street to personal wealth.
- Wednesday 4th December 2013
- Speaker: Professor Richard Batley, International Development Department, University of Birmingham. The International Development Department hosts a number of seminars throughout the autumn term which focuses on a number of different topics. The seminars are open to everyone.
- Friday 29th November 2013
- Written by Professor Paul Jackson. The government of the Central African Republic claims to be in talks with one of the world's most enigmatic African guerrilla leaders, Joseph Kony. But Kony has entered talks before with no intention of backing down. This latest announcement follows all the same patterns and should be treated with scepticism.
- Monday 25th November 2013
- Listen to the latest podcasts from across the School of Government and Society. Podcasts include our Departmental termly seminar series, academic research and current affairs.
- Friday 22nd November 2013
- Wednesday 11th December 2013
- Speaker: Professor Mark Duffield, School of Sociology, Politics and International Relations, University of Bristol and Honorary Senior Fellow, International Development Department, University of Birmingham.
Study with us...