If you are an employer looking for a course for your employees, or an individual investing in your own personal development, we offer a diverse range of courses and pathways of study and development. All of our Executive development courses are designed to reflect work-based practice, while also benefiting from the internationally significant research that is inherent in our strong academic knowledge base.
We have a wide range of Continuing professional development (CPD) options from degrees to accredited short courses and seminars:
Visit our Postgraduate degrees page to view further information on the different types of degrees offered.
INLOGOV offers a range of topical seminars on campus, which can also be run in-house for one or a group of local authorities. More information about our Seminar programme.
- Friday 30th October 2015
- Edgbaston Campus, University of Birmingham
- Chairing Scrutiny is different from chairing traditional service committees - putting even experienced service chairs at a disadvantage. The seminar will explore the skills required to support good scrutiny and the special demands it makes on those who take the chair.
Five day accredited short courses
The department has an exciting range of five day programmes to compliment and expand our existing portfolio. More information about our accredited short courses.
- Monday 5th October 2015
- Edgbaston Campus
- 05-07 October, 02, 03 November 2015. This Executive Programme in Strategic Commissioning focuses directly on the current challenge of coping with public service funding cuts at a time of rising service needs and expectations.
- Wednesday 4th November 2015
- This three day programme works through the stages and techniques of the scrutiny process, and the ways in which it may be used both to hold executives to account and to develop policy. It may be used as an induction and training in the principles of good scrutiny for those who are new or relatively new to the topic (including an update on issues for scrutiny raised by new legislation and the Coalition's approach to local government). It will also assist those with experience of scrutiny to develop their skills and improve their practice.
See also the Continuing professional development page for further information.