Study with POLSIS and you’ll have the opportunity to hear from high profile speakers on current affairs and issues.
The Department of Political Science and International Studies (POLSIS) regularly attracts high level speakers to talk directly to students, including UK government MPs and members of the US Congress. Recent speakers have included David Miliband MP, The Speaker of the House of Commons, John Bercow, and Alistair Darling, former Chancellor of the Exchequer.
As well as attending talks by high profile speakers, you will also have the opportunity to be involved in the organisation of the events. Students from both our departmental societies, The Politics Society (POLSOC) and the Chamberlain Club, organise regular events throughout each term; involvement in these activities can help to broaden your career horizons and help you to develop the key employability skills that employers are looking for.
Past and previous events:
- On Thursday 24th May 2012, Simon Fraser, Permanent Under Secretary of State, Foreign and Commonwealth Office, visited the University to speak to staff and students.
- 29 May 2012
- Alistair Burt MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State, Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO Minister with responsibility for Afghanistan) visited the School of Government and Society on Thursday 22nd March to provide his views on "UK Engagement in Afghanistan".
- 23 March 2012
- The Rt Hon. Alistair Darling, former Chancellor of the Exchequer, visited the Department of Political Science and International Studies on the 22nd February 2012 to give a lecture on the financial crisis and its aftermath entitled 'Back from the Brink'.
- 24 February 2012
- Students, alumni and staff enjoyed an evening with John Bercow, the Speaker of the House of Commons on Thursday 02 February 2012.
- 06 February 2012
- POLSIS plays host to former cabinet member David Miliband, MP, for a live conversation and Q&A with current students, staff and alumni.
- 31 October 2011
Future events include lectures by Brigit Anderson, Deputy Director of the University of Oxford’s Centre on Migration, Policy and Society (COMPAS), and Zygmunt Bauman, Professor Emeritus at the University of Leeds.
If you would like further details of these events and/or you are a student in POLSIS and wish to become a committee member for the next academic year, please contact Dr Stephen Bates (email@example.com).