The University of Birmingham Guild of Students Politics Society (POLSOC) is the student-run society for all those interested in politics at the University of Birmingham.
The committee organises and hosts a wide variety of events over the academic year.
We organise political events, inviting guest speakers and lecturers to talk on hot topics. Events that the society have run in the last year include a debate on the Alternative Vote referendum and ‘Thatcher on Trial’. POLSOC works closely with other student societies to run events.
The society aims to help its members with their career prospects after graduation; POLSOC regularly host networking events with POLSIS alumni, which give our members opportunities to gain valuable career advice.
The Politics Society also supports its members academically by offering essay and exam workshops, where experienced students are invited to present and share advice with first year students.
Social events are also organised, giving POLSOC members an opportunity to get to know each other better and to meet new people.
POLSOC consistently delivers opportunities for its members to enhance their student experience during their time at University.
The aims of the Politics Society are:
- To enhance the student experience of Politics and related disciplines students (e.g. International Relations, Political Economy, etc) at the University of Birmingham
- To provide course related events, speeches, and debates for members
- To provide socials for members
- To provide careers events and guidance for members
- To promote a wider interest in Politics and related disciplines through the society.
- To build relations with other societies within the University community
Politics Society Chair, Megan Baxter "Being a committee member has given me invaluable skills, such as the ability to work in a team, filling out formal paperwork, organising events for 70+ people and dealing with large budgets of up to £2000. These skills will be an asset to me (and any future employers!) after I have graduated, not to mention simply being in the committee has helped me and my fellow committee members stand out from the crowd when it comes to writing our CVs."
Read some of our POLSOC Committee - Undergraduate student profiles.
If you’d like to know more about the Society, please get in contact with the Committee in one of the following ways: