These are one-year Scholarships which offer fees and - subject to availability of funds - maintenance. Some of these scholarships are subject-specific, for international students and for home students. All scholarships listed below are offered subject to available funds, and are open to both EU and international students in addition to home students, unless otherwise stated. For information on deadlines – including the date by which you must hold an offer of a place on the doctoral research programme.
Postgraduate students may use the Postgraduate Funding Database to search for scholarships and bursaries. In addition, some of the scholarship schemes open to those within the School of Education are listed below. Please read any documentation carefully for eligibility and closing dates.
General funding advice may also be found on the Student Funding Office webpages.
- A E Hills PG Scholarship Open to any full-time postgraduate.
- Alumni PG Scholarship Open to any postgraduate student who is either an alumnus or the child of an alumnus of the University of Birmingham. Preference will be given to nominees that have made significant contributions to wider University life outside of academic achievement.
- Francis Corder Clayton PG Scholarship Open to any full-time postgraduate undertaking a programme in an Arts subject.
- Joseph Chamberlain PG Scholarship Open to students undertaking a programme in the College of Social Sciences (except Education) or in the Engineering Schools. The award is limited to students whose parents/guardians have been bona fide residents in the former West Midlands County for four years prior to the start of the course, or who fulfil the residency criteria themselves.
- Kirkcaldy PG Scholarship Open to students undertaking a programme in the College of Social Sciences (except Education).
- Richard Fenwick PG Scholarship Open to any full-time postgraduate with the exception of those studying in the College of Medical and Dental Sciences.