The School of Government and Society at the University of Birmingham is committed to the delivery of world-class research in political science and international studies. Established in 2008, the School comprises three Departments: Politics and International Studies (POLSIS); International Development (IDD) and Local Government Studies (INLOGOV).
A series of broad research themes underpin the research activities of the School.
Current research projects across the School:
More research projects throughout the school
Latest research news
- Written by Dr Richard Connolly. Russia's Central Bank has raised its key interest rate from 10.5% to 17% in an emergency move that is designed to halt the ongoing collapse of the rouble, which has accelerated in recent weeks. The dramatic intervention comes after the rouble suffered its worst one-day fall since the August 1998 financial crisis.
- Tuesday 16th December 2014
- Dr Derek Averre of CREES/POLSIS spoke about Europe and the Ukraine crisis at the National Defence Academy of Latvia, Riga, on 03 December 2014.
- Monday 15th December 2014
- Written by Anna Coleman and Julia Segar. A recent publication by the New Local Government Network (NLGN) looked at how local councils are preparing for the future and suggests depressingly that "there is simply no way that local government can reach 2018 let alone 2020 while still delivering the full range and quality of services currently on offer"(p6). Simply put, we have an ageing population, with associated increasing demand for care services and draconian cuts in council budgets.
- Friday 12th December 2014
More research news throughout the School of Government and Society.