Understanding Material Loss
- University of Birmingham
- Arts and Law, Lectures Talks and Workshops, Research, Students
Understanding Material Loss seeks to uncover the multiple practices and institutions that emerged in response to different forms of material loss in the past and asks, how has loss shaped (and been shaped by) processes of acquisition, possession, stability, abundance and permanence? By doing so it seeks to gauge the extent to which ‘loss’ can be used as an organizing framework of study across different disciplines and subfields.
Keynote speakers include:
- Dr. Simon Werrett, Science & Technology Studies, UCL
- Prof. Jonathan Lamb, English, Vanderbilt
- Prof. Anthony Bale, English & Humanities, Birkbeck
- Dr. Astrid Swenson, Politics and History, Brunel
Further information, including details on travel, accomodation and the provisional schedule can be founded on the conference website: https://understandingmaterialloss2017.wordpress.com/
Thanks to Past & Present and the University of Birmingham for their generous support for the conference.