Having graduated from the University of Bologna, I completed my doctoral research in political communication at London Metropolitan University and my Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching (Higher Education) at Canterbury Christ Church University. I taught at both these universities before moving to Birmingham in 2004.
I supervise PhD students and contribute to the teaching of the Department of Modern Languages in the following areas: Italian and European history and politics, European media, and research methods.
I am interested in supervising PhD theses on Italian politics, European populism and neo-nationalism in comparative perspective, and political communication.
The major strand of my work has been about populism in Western Europe. I have also published on Italian politics, Swiss politics, and the communication strategies, styles of propaganda and mass media use of political parties in contemporary Europe. My monograph Populists in Power, co-written with Duncan McDonnell, has been published by Routledge in February 2015. In the same period, my work on Italian politics has led to the publication of a special issue of Modern Italy entitled: 'Berlusconi's Impact and Legacy', which I have co-edited with James Newell.
I have also co-edited Twenty-first Century Populism: The Spectre of Western European Democracy, Resisting the Tide Cultures of Opposition Under Berlusconi (2001-06) and The Media, An Introduction - Third edition.
- 19 March 2007. Large grant (£84,891). Awarding body: British Academy (submitted with Charlotte Ross and Clodagh Brook). Title: 'Resisting the Tide: Cultures of Opposition During the Berlusconi Years'.
- 18 July 2007. Extension of research leave (£29,063). Awarding body: AHRC. Title: 'Populists in Power: Rhetoric and Communication Strategies'.
- 26 June 2008. Research grant (£62,478). Awarding body: The Leverhulme Trust (submitted with Duncan McDonnell). Title: 'Regionalist vs. Nationalist Populists in Power: Actions and Reactions'.
I am a member of the UK management committee of the European Concerted Research Action 'Populist Political Communication in Europe: Comprehending the Challenge of Mediated Political Populism for Democratic Politics', and the co-convenor of the Italian Politics Specialist Group of the Political Studies Association. I have acted as a reviewer for government bodies, such as the Ministero dell'Istruzione, dell'Università e della Ricerca (Italy); publishers (for instance, Palgrave and Pearsons); academic journals, such as European Journal of Political Research, Government and Opposition, Party Politics, and West European Politics; and funding institutions (for instance, The Leverhulme Trust and the Arts and Humanities Research Council).
- Populists in Power (with D. McDonnell). Routledge, 2015. Funded by The Leverhulme Trust.
- The Media: an Introduction (with P. Cobley). Pearson, 2009.
- Resisting the Tide: Cultures of Opposition Under Berlusconi (2001-06) (co-edited with C. Brook, C. Ross and N. Rothenberg). Continuum, 2009.
- Twenty-first Century Populism-The Spectre of Western European Democracy (co-edited with D. McDonnell), Palgrave, 2008.
Edited special issues of Journals
- 'Italy after the 2013 elections' (with A. Giovannini), special issue of Journal of Modern Italian Studies, (20) 4, 2015.
- 'Berlusconi's Impact and Legacy' (with J. Newell), special issue of Modern Italy, (20) 1, 2015.
- 'Italy under Berlusconi' (with D. McDonnell), special issue of Modern Italy, (10) 1, 2005.
Peer-Reviewed International Journal Articles
- 'Surviving the perfect storm: Italy after the 2013 elections’ (with A. Giovannini), Journal of Modern Italian Studies, (20) 4, 2015.
- ‘Introduction: A mountain giving birth to a mouse? On the impact and legacy of Silvio Berlusconi in Italy’ (with J. Newell), Modern Italy, (20) 1, 2015, pp. 3-10.
- ‘Populism and Liberal Democracy: Populists in Government in Austria, Italy, Poland and Switzerland’ (with Sean Müller), Government and Opposition, (48) 3, 2013, pp. 343-371.
- ‘Amici fragili: the alliance between the Lega Nord and the Popolo della Libertà as seen by their representatives and members’, Modern Italy, (18) 1, 2013, pp. 1-18.
- ‘La sfida del populismo alla democrazia liberale’, La Rivista delle Politiche Sociali (Italian Journal of Social Policy), no. 1, 2012, pp. 191-212.
- ‘Di lotta e di governo: the Lega Nord and Rifondazione Comunista in Office’ (with J. Newell and D. McDonnell), Party Politics, (17) 4, July 2011, pp. 471-487.
- ‘The Lega Nord Back in Government’ (with D. McDonnell), West European Politics, (33) 6, November 2010, pp. 1318-1350.
- ‘Reconciling “Voice” and “Exit”: Swiss and Italian Populists in Power’, Politics, (29) 1, February 2009, pp. 1-10.
- ‘Addressing “the People” - A Comparative Study of the Lega Nord’s and Lega dei Ticinesi’s Political Rhetoric and Styles of Propaganda’, Modern Italy, (12) 3, November 2007, pp. 327–347.
- ‘The Lega dei Ticinesi: The Embodiment of Populism’, Politics, (26) 2, May 2006, pp. 133-139.
- ‘“Back to Our Roots” or Self-Confessed Manipulation? The Uses of the Past in the Lega Nord's Positing of Padania’, National Identities, (8) 1, March 2006, pp. 21-39.
- ‘The Lega Nord in the Second Berlusconi Government: in a League of its Own’ (with D. McDonnell), West European Politics, (28) 5, November 2005, pp. 952-972.
- ‘Enough Vaccine? The Berlusconi Years’ (with D. McDonnell), Modern Italy, (10) 1, May 2005, pp. 3-8.
- ‘Discursive Strategies around “Community” in Political Propaganda - the case of the Lega Nord’ (with I. Fremeaux), National Identities, (4) 2, 2 July 2002, pp. 145-160.
Chapters in Edited Books
- ‘Introduction’ (with P. Cobley), in Albertazzi, D. and Cobley, P. (eds.) The Media: an Introduction. London: Pearson, 2009, pp. 1-11.
- ‘The Parties of the Centre Right: Many Oppositions, One Leader’ (with D. McDonnell), in Newell, J. (ed.) The Italian General Election of 2008 – Berlusconi Strikes Back. London: Palgrave, 2009, pp. 102-117.
- ‘Introduction: This Tide is not for Turning’ (with N. Rothenberg), in Resisting the Tide: Cultures of Opposition Under Berlusconi (2001-06), pp. 1-16.
- ‘In Bed with the Enemy: Infighting Among Governing Parties and the Return of the Centre’ in Resisting the Tide: Cultures of Opposition Under Berlusconi (2001-06), pp. 59-70.
- ‘Introduction: The Sceptre and the Spectre’ (with D. McDonnell), in Twenty-first Century Populism-The Spectre of Western European Democracy, pp. 1-11.
- ‘Switzerland: Yet Another Populist Paradise’, in Twenty-first Century Populism-The Spectre of Western European Democracy, pp.100-118.
- ‘Conclusions: Populism and Twenty-first Century Western European Democracy’ (with D. McDonnell), in Twenty-first Century Populism-The Spectre of Western European Democracy, pp. 217-223.
Interviews/Dissemination in Media (Selection)
- 22 May 2015 - Interview for Radio Plus (public service broadcaster, Czech Republic). Title: ‘Populist parties from both right and left are getting significant attention’.
- 13 April 2015 - Interview for Suomen Kuvalehti (Finland) on the Finns Party’s accession to power. Title: ‘That's the way to get rid of them’.
- 27 January 2015 - Quoted in the Editorial, Aftonbladet. Title: ‘Europas sossar har sig själva att skylla’ ('Europe's Social Democrats have themselves to blame').
- 17 May 2014 - Interview for deutschlandfunk.de, on European elections 2014.
- 18 March 2014 - Interview for Bundeszentrale for politische Bildung. Title: ‘Populisten - Starker Druck von rechts’.
- 2 August 2013 - Interview for Radio France Internationale (English Service), on Berlusconi's conviction for tax fraud.
- 31 March 2013 - Quoted in the Editorial, The Observer. Title: ‘Political rhetoric ignores immigration facts’.
- 21 March 2013 - Interview for The Civic Institute. Title: ‘Populizm ery tabletów’ (Populism of the tablet era)
- 26 February 2013 - Interview for BBC Radio Hereford and Worcester on the outcome of the Italian election 2013.
- 26 February 2013 - Interview for Channel NewsAsia on the outcome of the Italian election 2013.
- 25 February 2013 - Interview for Channel NewsAsia on the outcome of the Italian election 2013.
- 24 February 2013 - Interview for ABC Radio National (Australia). Name of programme: Rear Vision (radio current affairs programme) on Italian election 2013.
- 26 November 2011 - Interview for RAI Radio 2 (Italy) on ‘populism in Europe and the USA’.
- 22 November 2011 - Interview for RAI Radio 3 (Italy) on ‘the populist right in Europe’.
- 17 November 2011 - Interview for Sanlian Life Weekly Magazine. Title: “Italy: a Political Problem”.
- 14 March 2011 - Interview for Vremya Zavishennih Trebovaniy. Title: "The Times of Steep Expectations". Also published in English as a Special Edition of the Russian Institute.
- 20 November 2010 - Interview for Sanlian Life Weekly Magazine. Title: ‘Berlusconi's Battle to Defend His Position’.
- 16 September 2010 - Interview for De Groene Amsterdammer. Title: ‘Eigenaren van de immigratie’.
- 17 June 2010 - Interview for De Groene Amsterdammer. Title: ‘De opkomst der populisten’.
- 8 April 2010 - Interview for Liberazione. Title: ‘Si è rotto il bipolarismo perfetto ma i partiti guardano al centro’.
- 28 March 2010 - Interview for O Estado de S. Paulo. Title: ‘Desorganização ameaça partido de premiê’.
- 8 March 2010 - Interview for La Stampa. Title: ‘Nella Riserva degli Operai Bianchi. Londra con la destra xenofoba a far campagna tra i resti della classe lavoratrice’.
- 29 November 2009 - Interview for O Estado de S. Paulo. Title: ‘Berlusconi cria lei para fugir da Justica’.