I am a composer of instrumental and vocal music, interested in timbre and the use of unusual instruments. I teach composition, tonal theory and 18th century counterpoint.
MA I. J. Paderewski Academy of Music in Poznan, Poland.
DMA Cornell University, USA.
Originally from Poland, I joined the University of Birmingham in 2004, first as a Visiting Lecturer, and from 2010 as a member of staff. Previously I taught at the Academy of Music in Poznan, Poland, before continuing the studies in Holland and the United States.
I teach first year modules in composition, tonal theory and analysis, and advanced modules in 18th century counterpoint.
As a composer, I focus my research on writing for acoustic resources, but often employ unusual instruments, such as Javanese gamelan, Japanese koto, as well as Western quarter-tone flute. With my husband and fellow lecturer, Dr Scott Wilson, I co-created a music/puppet theatre show “Shuttle Dreams”, in collaboration with puppeteer David Powell from Toronto, Canada. My music has been performed in Poland, Canada, the Netherlands, US, Japan, and Great Britain.
- London, Shoreditch Church, November 28, 2009: W ciemnym koszu mego brzucha (In the dark basket of my belly) for quarter tome alto flute and piano; commissioned and performed by Carla Rees and rarescale.
- Vancouver, BC, April 28, 2007: Winter Gamesfor orchestra; commissioned and performed by the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Bramwell Tovey (performance repeated in North Vancouver on April 30, 2007).
- Musica Polonica Nova (Festival of Polish Contemporary Music), Wroclaw, Poland, February 24, 2006: Cascadilla Waterfallsfor chamber orchestra, conducted by Robert Kurdybacha.
- Toronto, ON, February 20 and 21, 2004: Shuttle Dreams, a music/shadow puppet theatre show, performed by David Powell (puppetry), Scott Wilson (computer, percussion), and Daria D. Kwiatkowska (piano).
- Tokyo, Japan, December 5, 2003: The Ghost of Urashimafor koto, oboe, parcussion, and narrator, commissioned and performed by Ryuko Mizutani (koto).
- Toronto, ON, November 12, 2002: Prologue and Epiloguefor clarinet, violin, cello, and piano (2 players), performed by Continuum Contemporary Music.
- Festival of new music Poznańska Wiosna Muzyczna (Poznań Musical Spring), Poznań, Poland, April 25, 2002: The Summer Soundscapefor chamber orchestra, performed by “Kamerata Nowego Wieku”, conducted by Dariusz Tabisz.
- Portfolio of Three Compositions (Part I) The Symbolism of Night and its Musical Representations in the Works of George Crumb (Part II), D.M.A. Diss., Cornell University, 2002.
- “Czy Szymanowski się pomylił?” (Was Szymanowski mistaken?), Monochord, Vol. III/1994, Toruń, Poland: Wydawnictwo Adam Marszałek.
- “Symfonia olfaktoryczna czyli Dicka Higginsa sposób na sztukę” (An olfactory symphony or Dick Higgins’s take on art), Monchord, Vol. XII-XIII/1996, Toruń, Poland: Wydawnictwo Adam Marszałek.
- Tryptyk jesienny(The Autumn Triptych) for female voice choir a cappella; recorded by Chór Żeński "Polirytmia", published by Carbo Media Sp. Zo.o. (CD), 2006.