Welcome to your Mathematics Community: a network for alumni, students, faculty and friends from the School of Mathematics and part of the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences Community.
Connect with us today to keep up to date with the latest news, find old friends or join us at one of our events.
All alumni are welcome to attend the seminars organised in the School of Mathematics, and the Pure Mathematics Colloquium may be of particular interest as it is accessible to a general mathematical audience. You may also be interested in our Birmingham Popular Maths Lectures.
- MathSoc has gone from strength to strength this academic year and the Society is providing a wide range of events for our members. Vice-President Sarah Graves tells us more.
- One of the most basic concepts in Mathematics is the notion of a sum. That is, a set of three numbers such that two of the numbers add up to the third. For example, 4, 5 and 9 form the sum 4+5=9 whilst 3, 4 and 9 certainly do not form a sum! This concept is one that every school child has seen, yet there still remain many deep and difficult problems in this area.
There are many ways you can get involved in the School, your relationship with us doesn't end with graduation.
- Richard Maddams
- Business Performance Manager, BBC (BSc Hons Mathematics 2007)
- Simon Goodwin
- Senior Lecturer in Pure Mathematics, University of Birmingham (PhD in Mathematics 2005)
- Joe Skilton
- Managing Consultant, Berkeley Research Group (MSci Mathematical Sciences - First Class Honours 2007)
- Satnam Singh Rai
- Actuary, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, BSc Mathematical Sciences (2006)