Welcome to your Metallurgy & Materials Community: a network for alumni, students, faculty and friends from the School of Metallurgy and Materials and part of the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences Community.
Whether a student, recent graduate or seasoned alumnus, let us know where you are and what you are doing.
EPS Alumni Office
College of Engineering and
University of Birmingham
Connect with us today to keep up to date with the latest news, find old friends or join us at one of our events.
- SAFRAN Prize: The University of Birmingham Advanced Materials and Processing laboratory led by Dr Moataz Attallah from the School of Metallurgy and Materials has received recognition for its contribution to the Use of Metal 3D Printing Technology (known as Selective Laser Melting Process) for Hot Section Parts of a Gas Turbine project in partnership with MicroTurbo and MONASH University.
- Dr Isaac Chang from the School of Metallurgy and Materials was interviewed by The Manufacturer about his recent project, funded by the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory, to look at reducing the costs of producing boron carbide.
- In February 2014 the UK Magnetic Society hosted the Critical Rare Earth Materials meeting at the University of Birmingham welcoming over 100 delegates to the campus, making it one of the largest meetings the Society has ever held.
- A round-up of new Metallurgy and Materials faculty November 2013 – March 2014
There are many ways you can get involved in the School, your relationship with us doesn't end with graduation.
- Adam Plank
- Quality Manager Designate, George Dyke Forgemasters
- Mark Hixon
- Managing Director, Consulting Associates Worldwide Limited, BSc Physics (1983); PhD Metallurgy & Materials Science (1987)
- David Haniff
- Director, Pervasive Technology Lab (CIC), Ph.D Augmented Reality, MSc Cognitive Science
- Derek Rhys Atkins
- Professor, Risk Management & Insurance, Cass Business School, Director, Enabl Ed Ltd, Partner, Reputability LLP, PhD Industrial Metallurgy (1971), BSc Industrial Metallurgy (1967)