Welcome to your Physics and Astronomy Community: a network for alumni, students, faculty and friends from the School of Physics and Astronomy and part of the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences Community.
Whether a student, recent graduate or seasoned alumnus, let us know where you are and what you are doing.
EPS Alumni Office
College of Engineering and
University of Birmingham
Connect with us today to keep up to date with the latest news, find old friends or join us at one of our events.
You are welcome to attend the many seminars and talks held at the School, including the fortnightly colloquia.
- Professor Andreas Freise and the Gravitational Wave Group have been listening in to the universe's 'gravity channel' - ripples in space-time caused by violent cosmic events such as the explosion of stars or the collision of two black holes to revolutionise our understanding of the universe.
- A team led by the University of Birmingham's Dr Tiago Campante has discovered Kepler-444, a solar system 117 light years away from Earth. The system, has five Earth-sized planets and dates back to when the Universe was less than 20 per cent of its current age. The research made headlines around the world.
- Staff and students from the School of Physics and Astronomy will be at Birmingham Cathedral in St Philip's Square tomorrow (20 March 2015) to offer a scientific commentary on the eclipse.
There are many ways you can get involved in the School, your relationship with us doesn't end with graduation.
- Chiara Mingarelli
- Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellow, California Institute of Technology (PhD Astrophysics 2014)
- Paul Clarkson
- PhD Candidate in Nanotechnology, University of Cambridge (MSc Nuclear Physics and Reactor Technology 2010, BSc Physics 2009)
- Nicole Cordy
- Trainee Patent Attorney, Barker Brettell LLP (MSci (Hons) Physics with Particle Physics and Cosmology 2013)
- Hannah Vaughan
- Trainee Pilot, British Airways Future Pilot Programme