Welcome to your Physics and Astronomy Community: a network for alumni, students, faculty and friends from the School of Physics and Astronomy and part of the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences Community.
Whether a student, recent graduate or seasoned alumnus, let us know where you are and what you are doing.
EPS Alumni Office
College of Engineering and
University of Birmingham
Connect with us today to keep up to date with the latest news, find old friends or join us at one of our events.
You are welcome to attend the many seminars and talks held at the School, including the fortnightly colloquia.
- Professor Martin Freer, Director of the Birmingham Energy Institute, represented the UK and the University of Birmingham at the French Society of Nuclear Energy (SFEN) Convention on Thursday 5 March 2015. The French Society of Nuclear Energy (SFEN) is the French hub of knowledge on nuclear energy, bringing together 3600 professionals, engineers, technicians, teachers, students, industrial sites and French nuclear research organisations.
- John Henry Poynting was the first professor of Physics at Mason College, which later became the University of Birmingham. A few months ago his granddaughter Elizabeth (now aged over 90) visited the University, and Dr Robert Whitworth had the pleasure of showing her items relating to her grandfather in the Department that he had founded.
- A round-up of new Physics and Astronomy staff members November 2014 – February 2015
There are many ways you can get involved in the School, your relationship with us doesn't end with graduation.
- Andy Johns
- Teacher and Head of Year, Dollar Academy
- Catherine Goode
- Games Designer, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe
- Mark Thurston
- Patent Attorney, Barker Brettell LLP, Ph.D. Astrophysics (2000)
- Neil Young
- Senior Research Scientist, Department of Materials, University of Oxford, PhD Physics (2007), MSci (Hons) Physics (2004)