Schools Liaison - recent event reports
Particle Physics outreach continues to expand...
Please note that all the links below are to PDF files; they will open in a new window.
Masterclass events and cascade competitions to spread the word
Physics Experience Week for Year 11/10 students
Since 2012 a week of activities for enthusiastic Year 11/10 students has been organised on campus. The students come in from 9.00am to 5.00pm every day for themed workshops and talks.
Residential Teachers' conferences
At the start of the Autumn term, every two or three years, Residential Teachers' conferences were held at the University - an opportunity to update subject knowledge, look at new ways to enthuse students in the classroom and exchange ideas with colleagues in Physics departments across the country. Now the School of Physics & Astronomy works with the Institute of Physics and a consortium of Midland universities to continue these events on an annual basis.
Summer Schools for AS Physics students
Since 2004 residential Summer Schools for AS Physics students have taken place in the School of Physics & Astronomy. The Summer Schools have proved a great success and much enjoyed by more than 500 students who have taken part so far. See:
- Summer School 2004 Programme, Photo shoot, Student Review for the 2004 event.
- Summer School 2005 Programme, Student Review for the 2005 event
- Summer School 2006 Programme, Photo shoot, Student Review for the 2006 event.
- Summer School 2007 Programme, Student Review for the 2007 event
- Summer School 2008 Programme, Student Review, Photo Shoot for the 2008 event.
- Summer School 2009 Programme, Student Review, Photo Shoot for the 2009 event.
- Summer School 2010 Programme, Student Review, Photo Shoot for the 2010 event.
- Summer School 2011 Programme, Student Review, Photo Shoot for the 2011 event.
- Summer School 2012 Programme, Student Review, Photo Shoot for the 2012 event.
- Summer School 2013 Programme, Student Review, Photo Shoot for the 2013 event.
- Summer School 2014 Programme, Student Review, Photo Shoot for the 2014 event.
Next year's Summer School will take place on 8th and 9th July 2015, following a similar programme.
You can download an application form for the 2015 Summer School here.
Physicist of the Year Awards
Since 2011, the School of Physics & Astronomy has been working with the Ogden Trust to reward hard-working students in local schools and celebrate their achievements. An annual awards event is organised for the students and their guests with a key-note speaker, research demonstrations and presentation of certificates and book tokens.
Since 2006, "An Ideas Day for Teachers and Technicians" has been organised in the School of Physics & Astronomy at the end of the Summer Term - an IOP Teacher Network event.
Many teachers & technicians from over 100 different schools in the West Midlands have taken part in the event, which has included update talks and make and take workshops.
Some comments on the day:
Our technicians have come back (to school) enthused and we teachers are like children again! Many thanks.
Very well run event
Good knowledge from all the staff
Nice to be able to take things away with us
The contact for these events is now Richard Bonella, IOP teacher network coordinator for this area - firstname.lastname@example.org
The BIG QUIZ
THE PHYSICS BIG QUIZ for Year 9 pupils has taken place every year since 2005 and is now a popular and established event on campus. Over 1600 Year 9 students from schools in the West Midlands area have now enjoyed this event.
Activities/Challenge Days 2007 - 2010
Poster competition 2003 - 2009
Rocket Days 2004 - 2008
Here is a typical Rocket Day Programme