Within the School of Social Policy, we undertake innovative, exciting, applied research. We believe in research making impact and we aim to build into the research process itself, communities, policy makers and practitioners, so as to ensure that our research travels and impacts upon people's everyday lives. Our research is ethically driven and sensitive, and deeply resonates with local, national and international issues..
A series of broad research themes underpin the research activities of the School.
Research expertise across the School currently sits within our Departments. The Health Services Management Centre organises its research around its five areas of work or specialisms:
In addition, there is an over-arching Participatory Research Theme which is cross-cutting across the School's research activities.
View all HSMC research projects
View all IASS research projects
- HSMC's Mark Exworthy writes for 'The Conversation' on the paradox of competition and integration other key challenges facing the re-appointed health secretary.
- Monday 18th May 2015
- The Health Services Management Centre and Middlesex University London have published a compendium of approaches and tools for organisational change within adult social care.
- Tuesday 12th May 2015
- Sixty people recently attended a one day symposium in Park House on "Evaluating Coalition health reforms, 2010-2015.
- Thursday 30th April 2015
- IRiS academic, Dr Nando Sigona, writes for 'The Conversation' on the unfolding tragedy in the Mediterranean.
- Wednesday 22nd April 2015
Doctoral Training Centre status
The University of Birmingham has been selected as one of only 12 single institutions to receive 'Doctoral Training Centre' status from the ESRC. The award recognises the work of social science colleagues over the past two years in consolidating our research training programmes into the new MA Social Research, as well as the commitment to high quality doctoral supervision and the wider experience for doctoral researchers at Birmingham.
Professor Pete Alcock
Director, Doctoral Training Centre
ESRC Doctoral Training Centre