Within the School of Social Policy, we undertake innovative, exciting, applied research. We believe in research making impact and we aim to build into the research process itself, communities, policy makers and practitioners, so as to ensure that our research travels and impacts upon people's everyday lives. Our research is ethically driven and sensitive, and deeply resonates with local, national and international issues..
A series of broad research themes underpin the research activities of the School.
Research expertise across the School currently sits within our Departments. The Health Services Management Centre organises its research around its five areas of work or specialisms:
In addition, there is an over-arching Participatory Research Theme which is cross-cutting across the School's research activities.
View all HSMC research projects
View all IASS research projects
- New book offers a global perspective on healthcare reform and its relationship with efforts to improve quality and safety.
- Thursday 5th March 2015
- With ideas worth spreading, some of the School of Social Policy's leading academics will grace the TEDx stage in the Aston Webb building on Saturday 21 March.
- Wednesday 18th February 2015
- Read latest LSE Blog from Susanne Wessendorf, 'Commonplace Diversity: Stable and peaceful relations across myriad differences in Hackney'.
- Tuesday 17th February 2015
- Women, Disability and Mental Distress published by Ashgate this month, is based on Birmingham alumnus Julia Smith's doctorate.
- Monday 16th February 2015
Doctoral Training Centre status
The University of Birmingham has been selected as one of only 12 single institutions to receive 'Doctoral Training Centre' status from the ESRC. The award recognises the work of social science colleagues over the past two years in consolidating our research training programmes into the new MA Social Research, as well as the commitment to high quality doctoral supervision and the wider experience for doctoral researchers at Birmingham.
Professor Pete Alcock
Director, Doctoral Training Centre
ESRC Doctoral Training Centre