After reading Classics at Cambridge Dr. Wardle undertook his doctoral research on the prehistory of NW Greece at the Institute of Archaeology in London, held scholarships from the Greek Government and British School at Athens and Fellowships in Heidelberg and Newcastle upon Tyne. He was appointed to the University of Birmingham in 1977.
Greek prehistory, especially Minoan and Mycenaean, early Classical Archaeology, the Archaeology of Macedonia.
- Minoan and Mycenaean civilization
- Greek prehistory, Macedonia
Current research at Mycenae, Knossos, Assiros and Servia and Thermon.
- Head of Education for Ancient History, Classics and Archaeology
- Member of Committee for Archaeology of British School at Athens
- 'Assiros Toumba: A brief history of the settlement' in eds. Henrieta Todorova, Mark Stefanovich, Georgi Ivanov: The Struma/Strymon River Valley in Prehistory. Proceedings of the International Symposium Strymon Praehistoricus, Kjustendil–Blagoevgrad (Bulgaria), Serres–Amphipolis (Greece) 27.09–01.10.2004. (In The Steps of James Harvey Gaul Volume 2) 451-479. Sofia (with Diana Wardle) 2007.
- 'Troy VIIB2 Revisited: The Date of the Transition from Bronze to Iron Age in the Northern Aegean', in eds. Henrieta Todorova, Mark Stefanovich, Georgi Ivanov: The Struma/Strymon River Valley in Prehistory. Proceedings of the International Symposium Strymon Praehistoricus, Kjustendil–Blagoevgrad (Bulgaria), Serres–Amphipolis (Greece) 27.09–01.10.2004. (In The Steps of James Harvey Gaul Volume 2) 481-497. Sofia (with Maryanne Newton and P.I. Kuniholm) 2007.
- ‘A Dendrochronological 14C Wiggle-Match for the Early Iron Age of north Greece: A contribution to the debate about this period in the Southern Levant’, Eds Levy and Higham, Radiocarbon and the Bible, London 2005, 104-113 (with Maryanne W. Newton and Peter Ian Kuniholm).
- ‘Dendrochronology and Radiocarbon determinations from Assiros and the beginning of the Greek Iron Age, AEMTH 17, 2003, 173-190 (with M. Newton and P.I. Kuniholm) 2005.
- ‘Glimpses of Private Life: Roman rock-cut tombs of the first and second centuries AD at Knossos’ in eds. G.Cadogan and E.Hatzaki, Knossos: Palace, City, State, 473-480 2004 (with Diana Wardle).
- ‘Prehistoric Thermon: pottery of the Late Bronze and Early Iron Age’ eds. N. Kyparissi-Apostolika, M. Papakonstantinou, The Periphery of the Mycenaean World II, 147-156 2003 (with Diana Wardle).
- The ‘Cult Centre’ at Mycenae and other sanctuaries in the Argo-Saronic Gulf and the NE Peloponnese: location and status’, Argosaronikos A 317-332, 2003.
- ‘The Symposium in Macedonia: a prehistoric perspective’ AEMTH 15, 2001 (2003) 631-643 (with Diana Wardle and N.M.H. Wardle).
- ‘Technology transfer at the periphery of the Mycenaean World: the cases of Mycenaean pottery found in Central Macedonia (Greece) and the Plain of Sybaris (Italy)’, Archaeometry 45:2, 263-284 (with J. Buxeda, R. E. Jones, V. Kilikoglou, S.T. Levi, Y. Maniatis, J. Mitchell, L. Vagnetti and S. Andreou), 2003.
- ‘Metal working in Late Bronze Age Macedonia’ AEMTH 13, 29-48 (with Diana Wardle) 2001
- Classical Archaeology in the Field, 2001, (with L. Bowkett, S.J. Hill, and Diana Wardle)
- Servia I: The Stratigraphy, Structures, Small Finds, and Plant Remains, 2000 with C. Ridely and C. Mould
- Nea Nikomedeia I: The Excavation of an Early Neolithic Village in Northern Greece, 1996 , (with R.J. Rodden and G. Pyke)
- Well Built Mycenae, 1993, 1991, 1992, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2007, 2011 (various co-authors)
- Cities of Legend: The Mycenaean World 1997, 2000 (with Diana Wardle)
- ‘The Minoan and Mycenaean Palace Societies’ in The Oxford Illustrated Prehistory of Europe, 1994, 1997, 2001