Industrially sponsored projects:
Emulsion structuring in Lipsticks, Emulsion structuring in mascara, Hydrophobins for technological applications, heat and mass transfer is industrial batch scale cosmetics production, odour, removal for industrial hydrocolloids, healthy indulgence of high fat foods.
Research council funded projects:
Whipping of dairy cream alternatives, Hydrophobins for stabilisation of air filled emulsions, Self Structuring in the Human GI tract to combat obesity.
A tri-phasic emulsion constructed from an oil/water emulsion with an equal volume of hydrophobin stabilised air filled emulsion (seen as the phase bright droplets) to remove 50% of the lipid from products with out affecting their oral properties.
An electron micrograph of emulsified cocoa butter containing 50% water. This dramatically reduces the lipid content of chocolate made with the butter and can be used to test the psychology behind indulgent eating-behaviour.
1) K. Mehauden, P.W. Cox, S. Bakalis, M.J.H. Simmons, G.S. Tucker and P.J. Fryer. (2007).A novel method to evaluate the applicability of time temperature integrators to different temperature profiles. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 8, 507-514
2) Tucker, G.S., Brown, H.M., Fryer, P.J., Cox, P.W., Poole, F.L. Lee, H-S., Adams, M.W. (2007). A sterilisation time-temperature integrator based on amylase from the hyperthermophilic organism Pyrococcus furiosus. Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies (IFSET),8, 63-72
3) Mousavi, R., Miri,T., Cox, P.W., Fryer, P.J. (2006). Characterization of the ice crystal structure of food materials using X-ray micro-computed tomography International Journal of Food Science and Technology, in press
4) Mousavi, R., Miri, T., Cox, P.W. & Fryer, P.J. (2005). Ice crystal visualisation in frozen solids using X-ray micro computed tomograph. Journal of Food Science 70, 7, 437-442.
5) Norton, I.T., Cox, P.W. Spyropoulous, F. (2008) The role of hydrocolloids in the formation of Health foods. Gums and Stabilisers in the Food Industry 14 ISBN 978-0-85404-4610-0.
6) Spyropoulous, F. Cox, P.W., Fryer, P.J., Norton, I.T., (2008) Immiscible liquid liquid mixing. In Food Mixing – Principles and Applications, Ed. P.J. Cullen, pub Blackwell, in press.
7) P.W. Cox, F. Spyropoulos & I.T. Norton (2008). Food microstructure design for combating dietary related chronic diseases. Keynote lecture. International Conference on Engineering in Food, Vina del Mar, Chile, April 2008.