1. Meegahawatte, D; Hillmansen, S; Roberts, C, et al. Analysis of a fuel cell hybrid commuter railway vehicle JOURNAL OF POWER SOURCES Volume: 195 Issue: 23
Pages: 7829-7837 Published: 2010. Journal impact factor 3.792.
2. Hillmansen, S; Roberts, C, Energy storage devices in hybrid railway vehicles: a kinematic analysis P I MECH ENG F-J RAI Volume: 221 Issue: 1 Pages: 135-143 Published: MAR 2007. Journal impact factor 0.434.
3. Yoichi Kayamori, S. Hillmansen, P.S.J. Crofton, Roderick A. Smith, Ductile Crack Propagation Characteristics in Thin Steel Tubes, Journal Key Engineering Materials (Volumes 353 - 358) Pages 248-253 DOI 10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.353-358.248 2007. Journal impact factor 0.224.
4. Yoichi Kayamori, S. Hillmansen, P.S.J. Crofton, Roderick A. Smith, Ductile Crack Propagation Characteristics in Steel Thin Single Edge Notched Tension Specimens, Journal Materials Science Forum (Volumes 539 - 543) Pages 2180-2185 DOI 10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.539-543.2180 2007. Journal impact factor 0.399.
5. Bocharnikov, YV; Tobias, AM; Roberts, C, et al. Optimal driving strategy for traction energy saving on DC suburban railways.: IET ELECTRIC POWER APPLICATIONS Volume: 1 Issue: 5 Pages: 675-682 Published: 2007. Journal impact factor 1.212.
6. Hatano, L; Smith, RA; Hillmansen, S, International railway comparisons P I MECH ENG F-J RAI Volume: 221 Issue: 1 Pages: 117-123 Published: MAR 2007. Journal impact factor 0.434.
7. Smith RA, Hillmansen S A brief historical overview of the fatigue of railway axles P I MECH ENG F-J RAI 218 (4): 267-277 DEC 2004. Journal impact factor 0.434.
8. Hillmansen S, Smith RA The management of fatigue crack growth in railway axles P I MECH ENG F-J RAI 218 (4): 327-336 DEC 2004. Journal impact factor 0.434.
9. Leevers PS, Hillmansen S, Moreno LDF Specimen temperature conditioning and drift before an S4 pipe fracture test POLYM TEST 23 (6): 727-735 SEP 2004. Journal impact factor 1.994.
10. Hillmansen S The application of fuel cell technology to rail transport operations P I MECH ENG F-J RAI 217 (4): 291-298 2003. Journal impact factor 0.434.
11. Hillmansen S, Haward RN Adiabatic failure in polyethylene POLYMER 42 (22): 9301-9312 OCT 2001. Journal impact factor 3.573
12. Ivankovic A, Hillmansen S Evolution of dynamic fractures in poly(methyl methacrylate) PLAST RUBBER COMPOS 30 (2): 88-93 2001. Journal impact factor 0.4.
13. Leevers PS, Hazra S, Hillmansen S Impact resistance of thermoplastics - Prediction from bulk properties PLAST RUBBER COMPOS 29 (9): 460-467 2000. Journal impact factor 0.4.
14. Hillmansen S, Hobeika S, Haward RN, et al. The effect of strain rate, temperature, and molecular mass on the tensile deformation of polyethylene POLYM ENG SCI 40 (2): 481-489 FEB 2000. Journal impact factor 1.248.
Journal (accepted for publication)
1. S Lu, S Hillmansen, C Roberts. A power management strategy for multiple unit railroad vehicles, accepted for publication in IEEE Transactions of Vehicular Technology.
2. E Stewart, P Weston, S Hillmansen, C Roberts. Using bogie mounted sensors to understand the dynamics of 3rd rail current collection systems, accepted for publication in the RRUK special issue of the Proceedings of the IMechE: Part F – Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit.
Journal (ready for submission or recently submitted)
1. A. Hoffrichter, A. Miller, S. Hillmansen, and C Roberts. Well to wheel analysis for hydrogen, diesel and electric traction for railway propulsion. Submitted to Transportation Research Part D.
2. S. Lu, S. Hillmansen, and C. Roberts, “Train trajectory optimisation” IEEE Transaction for Intelligent Transportation Systems. To be submitted for publication on Oct. 2010.
3. Edward Stewart, Paul Weston, Clive Roberts and Stuart Hillmansen, Monitoring the energy consumption in DC railways. Invited paper for the IET Electrical Systems in Transportation.
1. Hillmansen S Special issue on railway axles P I MECH ENG F-J RAI 218 (4): I-II DEC 2004
2. Hillmansen, S; Baker, C; Powrie, W Special issue on rail research UK Source: PROCEEDINGS OF THE INSTITUTION OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERS PART F-JOURNAL OF RAIL AND RAPID TRANSIT Volume: 221 Issue: 1 Pages: I-III Published: MAR 2007
1. Hillmansen S, Smith RA. Discussion: benefits of lower-mass trains for high speed rail operations. Transport; Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers 2005; 158:179–182.
1. Leevers, P.S., Haward, R.N., Hazra, S., and Hillmansen, S. Fast fracture of thermoplastics as a micro-scale tensile drawing process, in Fracture of Polymers, Composites and Adhesives, J.G. Williams and A. Pavan, Editors. (2000), Elsevier Science Publishers. pp. 335-345.
2. Ivankovic, A. Murphy, N., and Hillmansen, S, Dynamic Fractures in PMMA in Crack Dynamics, eds: A. Ivankovic and M H Aliabadi, WIT 2004 ISBN 1-85312-948-8.
3. ‘Railway Axles’, S. Hillmansen and R.A. Smith, pp 2-79 to 2-83, in ‘Best Practice in Wheel-Rail Interface Management for Mixed Traffic Railways’, F. Schmid (Editor in Chief) et al. Published by Birmingham University Press and A&N Harris, ISBN 978-0-952-9997-3-7, Birmingham and London, September 2010.
1. Hillmansen S Nuclear fusion isn't fiction PROF ENG 17 (17): 22-22 OCT 6 2004
Royal Academy of Engineering publications
1. Yong, J., Smith RA, Hillmansen . and L. Hatano, What Price Speed - Revisited, Ingenia Issue 22, pp. 46 - 51, 2005.
Published Government reports
1. S Hillmansen, C Roberts, A McGordon, P Jennings, 2007. Final Report: Concept Validation for Hybrid Trains CONTRACT REFERENCE NO: DfTRG/0078/2007 for the Department of Transport. 2008
2. S Hillmansen, C Roberts, A McGordon, P Jennings, 2008. Final Report: DMU Hybrid Concept Evaluation - Follow on Work DfTRG/0078/2007 for the Department of Transport. 2009
Government report contributions
1. Low Carbon Technologies in a Green Economy HC 193-I, Fourth Report of Session 2009-10 - Volume I: Report, Together with Formal Minutes Author: House of Commons - Energy and Climate Change Committee Publisher:TSO (The Stationery Office)
2. Low carbon technologies in a green economy: fourth report of session 2009-10: Vol. 2 Oral and written evidence, House of Commons papers 193-II 2009-10 Corporate Author: Great Britain Parliament House of Commons Energy and Climate Change Committee, Publisher:TSO (The Stationery Office)
1. Hillmansen, S; Greenshields, CJ; Ivankovic, A Experimental study of the dynamics of rapid crack propagation in plastic pipes Conference Information: 12th Bienniel Conference on Fracture of the European-Structural-Integrity-Society (ECF 12), Date: SEP 14-18, 1998 SHEFFIELD ENGLAND Source: ECF 12: FRACTURE FROM DEFECTS, VOLS. I-III Pages: 1417-1422 Published: 1998
2. Davis, P; Hillmansen, S; Leevers, P Small-scale testing for brittle-tough transitions of Rapid Crack Propagation in PE pipelines Conference Information: 58th Annual Technical Conference of the Society-of-Plastics-Engineers, Date: MAY 07-11, 2000 ORLANDO FL Source: ANTEC 2000: SOCIETY OF PLASTICS ENGINEERS TECHNICAL PAPERS, CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS, VOLS I-III Pages: 3153-3157 Published: 2000
3. Smith, R.A., and Hillmansen, S.: Monitoring Fatigue in Railway Axles, International Wheelsets Conference. Rome 2001.
4. Ivankovic, A; Hillmansen, S. Evolution of dynamic fractures in poly(methyl methacrylate) Conference Information: 11th International Conference on Deformation, Yield and Fracture of Polymers, Date: APR 10-13, 2000 CHURCHILL COLL CAMBRIDGE ENGLAND Source: PLASTICS RUBBER AND COMPOSITES Volume: 30 Issue: 2 Pages: 88-93 Published: 2001
5. Murphy, N., Ivankovic, A., Hillmansen, S., A numerical and experimental investigation of dynamic fracture of polymethyl methacrylate, 10 Anniversary ACME-UK Conference Swansea 2002.
6. Hillmansen, S., Smith R.A., Intelligent measurement of the in-service rail vehicle axle environment, presented in the International Heavy Haul Conference, Dallas 2003.
7. Hillmansen, S., Fatigue crack growth in railway axles, presented at the International Seminar on Railway Axles, Imperial College London, September 2003.
8. Hillmansen, S., Smith RA, Assessing Fatigue Crack Growth in Railway Axles from icf11.com. Proceedings of the XI International Conference on Fracture, 2005 - icf11.com, Torino Italy.
9. Kayamori, Y; Hillmansen, S; Crofton, PSJ, et al. Ductile crack propagation characteristics in thin steel tubes Conference Information: Asian Pacific Conference for Fracture and Strength (APCFS'06), Date: NOV 22-25, 2006 Sanya PEOPLES R CHINA Source: PROGRESSES IN FRACTURE AND STRENGTH OF MATERIALS AND STRUCTURES, 1-4 Volume: 353-358 Pages: 248-253 Published: 2007
10. Kayamori, Y; Hillmansen, S; Crofton, PSJ, et al. Ductile crack propagation characteristics in steel thin single edge notched tension specimens Conference Information: 5th International Conference on Processing and Manufacturing of Advanced Materials, Date: JUL 04-08, 2006 Vancouver CANADA Source: THERMEC 2006, Pts 1-5 Volume: 539-543 Pages: 2180-2185 Published: 2007
11. S Hillmansen, C Roberts, C Goodman. 2007. Integration of energy storage in hybrid railway vehicles (In Proceedings of the 3rd UIC Energy Efficiency Conference, Portoroz, Slovenia).
12. Y Bocharnikov, C Roberts, S Hillmansen, A Tobias, 2007. Net energy reduction in DC railways by means of train trajectory optimisation and train rescheduling (In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Railway Traction Systems, Tokyo, Japan).
13. S Hillmansen, C Roberts, D Aguirre, S Singainy, C Goodman, 2007. Chemical battery storage devices for hybrid railway vehicles (In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Railway Traction Systems, Tokyo, Japan).
14. Y Bocharnikov, C Roberts, S Hillmansen, C Goodman, 2007. Net energy reduction in DC railways by means of train trajectory optimisation and train rescheduling (Presented at 3rd UIC Railway Energy Conference, Portoroz, Slovenia).
15. S. Lu, S. Hillmansen, and C. Roberts, “Optimising hybrid traction system for railway vehicles” in U21 International Conference on Energy Technologies and Public Policy, Sep. 2008. Poster Presentation.
16. S.Lu, D.H.Meegahaswatte, S.Guo, S.Hillmansen, C.Roberts, and C.J.Goodman, "Analysis of Energy Storage Devices in Hybrid Railway Vehicles", International conference on railway engineering , IET, Apr. 2008
17. Weston, P. F.; Stewart, E.; Roberts, C.; Hillmansen, S.; Measuring the dynamic interaction between electric vehicle shoegear and the third rail Publication Title Railway Engineering - Challenges for Railway Transportation in Information Age, 2008. ICRE 2008.
18. G Hull, C Roberts, S Hillmansen, 2008. Energy efficiency of a railway power network with simulation (Presented at 1st U21 International Conference on Energy Technologies and Policy, Birmingham, UK).
19. P Weston, E Stewart, C Roberts, S Hillmansen, 2008. Analysis of electric shoegear dynamics (In Proceedings of the 8th World Congress on Railway Research, Seoul, Korea).
20. Hillmansen, S.; Sustainable traction drives Publication Title Railway Electrification Infrastructure and Systems, 2009. REIS 2009. 4th IET professional Development Course
21. G Hull, C Roberts, S Hillmansen, 2010. Simulation of energy efficiency improvements on commuter railways (In Proceedings of the 4th IET International Conference on Railway Traction Systems, Birmingham, UK).
22. W Mingli, C Roberts, S Hillmansen, 2010. Modelling of AC feeding systems of electric railways based on a uniform multi-conductor chain circuit topology (In Proceedings of the 4th IET International Conference on Railway Traction Systems, Birmingham, UK).
23. E Stewart, P Weston, S Hillmansen, C Roberts, 2010. Understanding energy consumption in DC railways (In Proceedings of the 4th IET International Conference on Railway Traction Systems, Birmingham, UK).
24. S Lu, S Hillmansen, C Roberts, 2010. Power management strategy study for a multiple unit train (In Proceedings of the 4th IET International Conference on Railway Traction Systems, Birmingham, UK).
25. A Hoffrichter, S Hillmansen, C Roberts, 2010. Review and assessment of hydrogen propelled railway vehicles (In Proceedings of the 4th IET International Conference on Railway Traction Systems, Birmingham, UK).
26. Silmon, Joe; Hillmansen, Stuart; Investigating discontinuous electrification and energy storage on the northern Trans-Pennine route. Railway Traction Systems (RTS 2010), IET Conference on 13-15 April 2010