I have been teaching English at the University of Birmingham since 1999. I have taught EAP, ESAP and Business English on presessional and insessional courses and had stints as insessional coordinator, assessment coordinator and senior coordinator. I have also published books for language students and co-authored a guide for international students. I am a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA).
- Master of Linguistics & Literature: English & Dutch (KUL, Louvain, Belgium)
- Masters in Modern European Studies (London Metropolitan)
- Postgraduate Teaching Qualification (KUL, Louvain), leading to QTS
- Cambridge DELTA
- Certificate in Teaching English for Business (London Chamber of Commerce and Industry)
My previous work experience has also centred mostly around languages: teaching, translating, editing, examining, devising exams (Institute of Linguists), writing language courses and teacher training.
I have recently taught on the following BIA programmes:
- BME presessional course
- EAP1 presessional course
- Insessional classes
- 2013 A British Council ELTon for ‘Innovation in Learner Resources ‘for the Collins Academic Skills Series, which I instigated, and which includes my book: ‘Learning to write better academic essays’
- 2014 Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- I started supervising MAs in English Language Studies in 2013.
- 2014 Keynote Speech at Beijing International English Teaching Book Fair organised by the Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press, China
- 2014 ISSA (International Society for the Study of Argumentation) [Amsterdam] Argumentation in Higher Education: guiding students to academic achievement
- 2014 IATEFL; English UK North: Post-IELTS writing: helping students to understand and meet academic expectations
- 2013 University Graduate School (Writing Summer School): Structuring the thesis - what story does your research tell?
- 2012 EALTA, Innsbruck: Developing a ‘quick and effective’ tool for identifying deficit in academic writing skills for university students. (co-presented)
- 2011 Centre for Advanced Research in English and Centre for Corpus Research joint symposium:
- Can we teach students how to argue? Examples from 'The Birmingham Briefs', A Corpus of Semi-Academic Professional Writing.
- 2011 Teaching and Learning Conference: What do our students really want to know about the use of English? Insights from a pilot Q&A e-mail service for international students.
- 2010 BALEAP PIM, Newcastle: Non-compulsory 'open access' classes: motivation and retention.
- 2010 Writing development in Higher Education, London: Research into Practice: A Model for Sustainable Writing Development (co-presented with Suganthi John).
- I am a reviewer for the peer reviewed English Language Research Journal.
- I was an editor for the Birmingham Journal for Europe.
- I am currently working part-time and pursuing a PhD in English Linguistics. The provisional title is: ‘A comparative investigation of rhetorical and clausal features in the construction of argumentation by expert and non-expert academic essay writers'.
Audio Language Courses
- 2013 Writing: Learning to write better academic essays, Collins EAP
- 2012 Get Ready for IELTS Reading , Collins
- 2011 Reading for IELTS, Collins
- 2014 International Students’ Survival Guide, e-book, Collins (co-author) http://www.pages01.net/harpercollinspublishersltd/InternationalStudentsSurvivalGuide/
- 2015 Perfect Dutch / Total Dutch: Revised version with CD-rom(co-author), Hodder and Stoughton
- 2009 Advanced (“Perfect”) Dutch course (co-author), Hodder and Stoughton, Michel Thomas Method
- 2008 Introductory and Foundation (“Start” and “Total”) Dutch courses, as above
- 2012 Michel Thomas: Dutch app (based on above courses), Hachette UK