Book reviewing and reading for academic journals, presses, and funding bodies.
- Expert Reviewer, EU Commission (Horizon 2020)
- AHRC Peer Review College Member
- Editorial Board Member, Education in Practice: University of Birmingham Learning and Teaching Journal
- External Examiner, Keele University
- Board Member, Oxford Handbooks Online Editorial Advisory Board
- Head of Education, School of English, Drama, American & Canadian Studies (2011-14)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- College of Arts and Law Representative, University Board of Studies, CLAD
- Academic Consultant, ‘Christian-Muslim Relations: A Bibliographical History 1500-1900’
- Board Member (representative for CAL), University of Birmingham iVLE Project
In June 2014, with Tom Lockwood, I organised ‘Cultural Production in the Early Modern Household’, held at the Shakespeare Institute in Stratford-Upon-Avon.
In June 2010, with Tom Lockwood and Gillian Wright, I organised ‘The Cultural Agency of the Chaplain in Early Modern Britain’, held at the Shakespeare Institute in Stratford-upon-Avon. Papers presented at this one-day symposium formed part of an edited collection: Hugh Adlington, Tom Lockwood and Gillian Wright, eds, Chaplains in Early Modern England: Literature, Patronage and Religion (Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2013).
I also co-organised ‘Preaching and Politics in Early Modern Britain', held at Cambridge University, in 2006. The event attracted a range of scholars from the UK, Spain, the US and Canada as keynote speakers and as participants.