Award-winning contemporary poet, literary critic and prose writer. A focus on the serious application of Surrealist technique.
I hold an MA and PhD from the University of Exeter. I have taught at undergraduate and postgraduate level at Exeter and the University of Warwick. My poetry and criticism have appeared widely in journals and periodicals over the last three years. My second collection of poetry was shortlisted for The Forward Prize for Best Collection 2007.
I also write for the stage and radio and have taken numerous productions to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. I was co-judge of the Foyle Young Poets Prize in 2010 and have worked as an associated reader for the Kenyon Review. I review fiction for The National, the United Arab Emirate’s English language newspaper.
I teach creative writing at undergraduate and MA level, specialising in poetry, short fiction and writing for the stage.
I supervise research in the area of contemporary poetry (UK and US), the prose poem, experimental fiction and Absurdism and Surrealism in contemporary poetry.
My research interests are primarily in the areas of:
- Satire and the surreal in contemporary poetry
- The prose poem through the ages
- Contemporary US fiction
Fiction critic for The National. Theatre critic for the Times Literary Supplement, poetry critic for Poetry London.
- The Solex Brothers, Stride Books, 2005
- The Harbour Beyond the Movie, Salt Publishing, 2007
- The Migraine Hotel, Salt Publishing, 2009
- Planet-Shaped Horse, Nine Arches Press, 2011
- 'Chickens' Riptide, Vol. 1, University of Exeter Press, 2007
- 'I'm Reviewing a Play at the Albany', Riptide, Vol. 2, University of Exeter Press, 2007
- 'My Giant Tongue', Riptide, Vol. 3, University of Exeter Press, 2008
- 'How I Lost My Job', Short:Fiction, University of Plymouth Press, 2008
- ‘A Discouraging Word’, Fatboy Review, Issue 1, 2010
'Strange Fruit: The Prose Poetry of Francis Ponge', Poetry London, Spring 2009, No. 62
- 'Appropriating Form: Redmond, Romer, Black', Poetry London, Winter 2008, No. 61
- Stress Fractures: Essays on Modern Poetry, Penned in the Margins Press, 2010