Professor Rob Stone is Chair of European Film and Co-director of B-Film: The Birmingham Centre for Film Studies. He has published widely on Spanish, Basque, Cuban, European and independent American cinema and has further research interests in film theory and the politics of aesthetics, Modernism, Cubism, Surrealism and Spanish and Basque cultural and visual studies. He held a Leverhulme Trust Research Fellowship 2012-14 in order to work on a monograph on Basque cinema that will be published in English and Spanish in 2015 and was awarded the Koldo Mitxelena Chair in Basque Studies at the University of Chicago in 2015.
Feedback and office hours
Please e-mail for appointment outside term times.
- BA (Film and Art)
- PhD (Spanish film and literature)
After graduating in film studies and art history, I worked for several years in Spain and completed my doctoral studies on Spanish film and literature at the University of Wales. I then worked as lecturer in the University of Aberystwyth before moving to Swansea University in 2004, where I was Senior Lecturer and Head of the Department of Media and Communication.
I was made Professor in 2007 and this was recognised by ANECA (Spanish Government) in 2010. I became Chair of European Film at the University of Birmingham in 2012 and for 2012-14 I was awarded a Major Research Fellowship by the Leverhulme Trust enabling me to work on a monograph on Basque cinema with a colleague from the University of Deusto in San Sebastian.
At the University of Birmingham I co-direct B-Film: The Birmingham Centre for Film Studies and lecture on American and European cinema.
I lecture on American and European cinema, Hispanic film and culture, Transnational cinema and media, European philosophy in relation to cinema (Bergson, Deleuze, Bakhtin, Baudrillard), Film theory, Basque cinema, politics and literature.
I welcome enquiries about research supervision in all areas of Film Studies and Hispanic studies. I have supervised research theses on Basque film and literature, film theory, European cinema, Eastern European cinema, film genres, contemporary transnational cinema and American television drama.
PhD title Sonidos Negros: Flamenco in the Works of Federico García Lorca and Carlos Saura (2000)
I have a wide range of research interests related to film studies and have published on Hispanic cinema (particularly, Spanish, Basque and Cuban cinema) and on European cinema and independent American cinema. I am currently working on a range of projects that include independent American cinema, Basque cinema, and cinematic pilgrimages. I am also working on projects that deal in contemporary Cuban cinema and the evolution of heritage cinema in Europe. I have contributed to Time Out, Cinemascope and Sight & Sound as well as film notes and commentary to the Region 2 DVDs of the films of Julio Medem. I have published in English, Spanish and Italian and have been awarded major research grants by the AHRC, the British Academy and the Leverhulme Trust.
I am co-founder and editorial board member of the Remapping World Cinema: Regional Tensions and Global Transofrmations series from Routledge and also corresponding co-editor of The Routledge Companion to World Cinema.
I am editorial board member of Studies in European Cinema (Intellect) and the editor of the annual Screen Arts issue of the Hispanic Research Journal. I am also on the advisory board of [In]Transition, Studies in Hispanic Cinemas (Intellect) and editorial board member of University of Wales Press, Hispanic and Latin American series. I am also on the advisory board of Ikusgaiak- Cuadernos de Cinematografía - Film Journal of the Eusko Ikaskuntza - Sociedad de Estudios Vascos.
I serve on the review panels of GAČR, The Czech Science Foundation, the Qatar National Research Fund, the Leverhulme Trust and the Review Panel of the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC).
I am reader and reviewer for Bloomsbury, Continuum, Edinburgh University Press, Manchester University Press, Routledge, Columbia University Press, Continuum, Palgrave-Macmillan, Blackwell, Screen, Ikusgaiak-Cuadernos de Cinematografía, Bulletin of Hispanic Studies (Glasgow), Modern Language Review, Romance Studies, New Cinemas, Hispanic Research Journal, Journal of Latin American Studies, International Journal of Iberian Studies, Letras Hispanas, Revista Canadiense de estudios hispánicos, Studies in European Cinemas, Studies in Hispanic Cinemas, New Cinemas, [In]Transition, Journal of War and Culture Studies.
I have provided consultancy, onscreen film notes and full-length feature audio commentary on the Metro-Tartan DVD release of Julio Medem’s Basque Ball (2005) and I curated a season of Basque Cinema at the National Film Theatre, London in May 2004. I have spoken by invitation at a great number of universities in the UK, Cuba, Spain and the USA as well as a Cultural Committee Meeting at the House of Commons, Westminster. I have presented my own documentary at the Belfast Film Festival and have also appeared as panellist on film magazine programmes on Radio Nacional Española, Cadena Ser and Radio Madrid.
- Stone, R., Cooke, P., Dennision, S. & Marlow-Mann, A. (eds) (2017) The Routledge Companion to World Cinema. Routledge. Forthcoming.
- Stone, R. (2016) Walk, Don’t Run: The Cinema of Richard Linklater. Wallflower Press / Columbia University Press. 2nd edition, revised and extended. Forthcoming.
- Stone, R. & Cooke, P. (eds) (2016) Screening European Heritage. Palgrave. Forthcoming.
- Stone, R. & Rodríguez, M. P. (2015) Basque Cinema: A Cultural and Political History. IB Tauris.
- Stone, R. & Rodríguez, M. P. (2015) Cine Vasco. Comunicación Social.
- Stone, R. (2013) Walk, Don’t Run: The Cinema of Richard Linklater. Wallflower Press / Columbia University Press.
- Stone, R. & Gutiérrez-Albilla, J. D. (eds) (2013) A Companion to Luis Buñuel. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Stone, R. & Shaw, L. (eds) (2012) Screening Songs in Hispanic and Lusophone Cinema. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- Stone, R. (2007) Julio Medem. Manchester: Manchester University Press. Paperback edition published in 2012.
- Stone, R. & Harper, G. (eds) (2007) The Unsilvered Screen: Surrealism on Film. Wallflower.
- Stone, R. (2004) Flamenco in the Works of Federico García Lorca and Carlos Saura: The Wounded Throat. New York and Lampeter: Edwin Mellen Press, 312pp.
- Stone, R. (2002) Spanish Cinema. Longman, 224pp.
- Stone, R. & Hart, S. M. (2017) Hispanic Research Journal, 18.1. Forthcoming.
- Stone, R. (2016) Hispanic Research Journal, 17.1. In press.
- Stone, R. (2015) Hispanic Research Journal, 16.1.
- Stone, R. & Preece, J. (2010) Journal of European Studies, 40.3.
- Stone, R. & Cooke, P. (2007) Journal of Contemporary European Studies, 15:1.
- Stone, R. & Cooke, P. (2006) New Cinemas, 4: 2.
- Stone, R. & Cooke, P. (2004) Studies in European Cinema, 1:2.
- Stone, R., Bangert, A. & Cooke, P., (2013) Screening European Heritagewas published by the House of Lords Select Committee on 'Soft Power and the UK's Influence' and cited several times in the final report entitled ‘Persuasion and Power in the Modern World’.
Articles in Journals
- Stone, R. (2015) 'Tag', [In]Transition: A Media Commons Project. Online. Forthcoming.
- Stone, R. & Rodríguez, M. P. (2015) ‘Contemporary Basque Cinema: Online, Elsewhere and Otherwise Engaged’, Bulletin of Hispanic Studies(Liverpool). In press.
- Stone, R. (2015) 'About Time: Before "Boyhood"', Film Quarterly, 68:3, 67-72.
- Stone, R. (2015) ‘The Disintegration of Basque Cinema', Bulletin of Hispanic Studies, XCII:3, 423-38.
- Stone, R. & Fehimovic, D. (2014) ‘Cuba’s Cinematic Élan Vital: Cubanidad and cubanía as Citizenship and Sentiment’, Journal of Latin American Cultural Studies, 23:3, 289-304.
- Stone, R., Bangert, A. & Cooke, P. (2013) ‘Screening European Heritage: History on Film, the Heritage Sector and Cultural Policy’, Viewfinder. Online: http://bufvc.ac.uk/articles/screening-european-heritage
- Stone, R. (2011) ‘Time of Death’, Short Film Studies, Intellect, 1.2., 183-86.
- Stone, R. (2010) ‘The Coding of Aesthetic & Thematic Discourse in a Cinematic Mnemonic: The Case of “Ama Lur” (1968)’, Journal of European Studies, Sage, 40.3, 230-42.
- Stone, R. (2010) ‘Ambition’s Debt: An Interview with Richard Linklater’, Sight & Sound20.1, 34-6.
- Stone, R. (2007) ‘Notes from Region 2: The State of European Cinema’, Journal of Contemporary European Studies, Taylor and Francis, 15.1, 5-14.
- Stone, R. (2004) ‘Animals Were Harmed During the Making of this Film: A Cruel Reality in Hispanic Cinema’, Studies in Hispanic Cinemas, Intellect, 1.2., 75-84.
- Stone, R. and H. Jones (2004) ‘Mapping the Gendered Space of the Basque Country’, Studies in European Cinema, Intellect, 1.1, 43-55.
- Stone, R. (2004) ‘Julio Medem's Basque Balls: "La Pelota Vasca"’, Vertigo, 2.6, Spring 2004, 46-48.
- Stone, R. (2003) ‘Breaking the Spell: Carlos Saura's “El amor brujo” and el desencanto’, Bulletin of Spanish Studies, LXXX, 5, 573-92.
- Stone, R. (2002) ‘No Sólo Hable, Sino Escuche: Pedro Almodóvar’s “Hable con ella”’, Academia: Revista de la Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España, 32, 46-54.
- Stone, R. (2001) 'Through a Glass Darkly: Ritual and Transition in Carlos Saura's “Bodas de sangre”', Bulletin of Hispanic Studies(Liverpool), LXXVIII, 199-215.
- Stone, R. (2000) 'Quiero llorar: Lorca and the Flamenco Tradition in “Poeta en Nueva York”', Bulletin of Hispanic Studies, (Glasgow), LXXVII, 83-100.
- Stone, R. (2000) 'El camino de los ayes: The Concept of Pilgrimage in “Romancero gitano”', Neophilologus, LXXXIV, pp. 225-40.
- Stone, R. (1999) 'Misticismo y lujuria: The Sacred and the Profane in “Poema del cante jondo”', Anales de la literatura española contemporánea, XXIV, 213-26.
- Stone, R. (1998) 'Designing Women: “Vertigo”, “Carmen” and “La ardilla roja”', Tesserae, IV, 173-82.
Chapters in Edited Books
- Stone, R., Cooke, P., Dennison, S. & Marlow-Mann, A. (2016) ‘The Latitude and Longitude of World Cinema’ in Stone, R., Cooke, P., Dennison, S. & Marlow-Mann, A. (eds), The Routledge Companion to World Cinema. Routledge. Forthcoming.
- Stone, R. (2016) ‘Cinemas of Citizenship and Cinemas of Sentiment’ in Stone, R., Cooke, P., Dennison, S. & Marlow-Mann, A. (eds), The Routledge Companion to World Cinema. Routledge. Forthcoming.
- Stone, R. (2016) ‘Martyrdom, Trauma and the Unsexing of the Basque National Imaginary’ in Fouz-Hernández, S. (ed.) Erotic Spanish Cinema. Edinburgh University Press. Forthcoming.
- Stone, R., Cooke, P. & Bangert, A. (2015) ‘Introduction: Screening European Heritage’ in Stone, R. & Cooke, P. (eds) Screening European Heritage. Palgrave. In press.
- Stone, R. (2015) ‘Cinematic Pilgrimages: Postmodern Heritage Cinema’ in Stone, R. & Cooke, P. (eds) Screening European Heritage. Palgrave. In press.
- Stone, R., Cooke, P. & Bangert, A. (2015) ‘Screening European Heritage: Negotiating Europe’s Past Via The ‘Heritage Film’’ in Carlesten, J. & McGarry, F. (eds) Film, History and Memory, Palgrave MacMillan, 32-47.
- Stone, R. (2015) ‘Puppy Love: The Reincarnation of Bilbao’ in O’Rawe, D. & Phelan, M. (eds) Post-Conflict Performance, Film and Visual Arts: Cities of Memory. Palgrave Macmillan. In press.
- Stone, R. (2015) ‘Cubist Cuba: Miguel Coyula and Memories of Overdevelopment’, in Baron, G., Stock, A.M. & Pitaluga, A. (eds) Cuban Cinema Inside Out: New Perspectives on Contemporary Production. IB Tauris. In Press.
- Stone, R. (2015) ‘Body Doubles: The Performance of Basqueness by Carmelo Gómez and Silvia Munt’ in Albritton, D., Melero Salvador, A. & Whittaker, T. (eds) Performance and Spanish Film. Manchester University Press. In press.
- Stone, R. (2014) ‘Imitations of Cuba’, ‘The Godfather Part 2’, ‘The Five Obstructions’, ‘Chico & Rita’, ‘Buena Vista Social Club’, ‘Die Another Day’ and ‘Havana Nights: Dirty Dancing 2’ in Stock, A. M. (ed.), World Film Locations: Havana. Intellect.
- Stone, R. & Cooke, P. (2014) ‘Crystalising the Past: Slow Heritage Cinema’ in Barradas Jorge, N. and de Luca, T. (eds) Slow Cinema. Edinburgh University Press. In press.
- Stone, R. and P. Cooke (2013) ‘Transatlantic Drift: Hobos, Slackers, Flâneurs, Idiots and Edukators’ in Nagib, L. and A. Jersley (eds),Impure Cinema: Intermedial and Intercultural Approaches to Film. London / New York: I.B. Tauris.
- Stone, R. (2013) ‘Interview with Juan Luis Buñuel’ in Stone, R. and J. D. Gutiérrez-Albilla (eds), The Companion to Luis Buñuel. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Stone, R. and J. D. Gutiérrez-Albilla (2013) ‘The Criminal Life of Luis Buñuel ’ in Stone, R. and J. D. Gutiérrez-Albilla (eds), The Companion to Luis Buñuel. Blackwell. In press.
- Stone, R. (2012) ‘1961: Las otras’ in Martínez Herranz, A. (ed.) La España de ‘Viridiana’. University of Zaragoza Press / Prensas Universitarias de Zaragoza.
- Stone, R. and M. P. Rodríguez (2012) ‘Sex and Violence: Cinematic Representations of Gender and ETA’ in Peretti, L and V. Roghi (eds), Immagini di piombo: Cinema, storia e terrorismi in Europa. Milan: Bevivino.
- Stone, R. (2012) ‘Song-Shaped Cinema: The Performance of Gypsy and Basque Songs in Relation to Film Form’ in Stone, R. and L. Shaw (eds), Screening Songs in Hispanic and Lusophone Cinema. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- Stone, R. and L. Shaw (2012) ‘Introduction’ in Stone, R. and L. Shaw (eds), Screening Songs in Hispanic and Lusophone Cinema. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- Stone, R. (2012) ‘En la ciudad de Sylvia and the durée of a derivé’ in Delgado, M. and R. Fiddian (eds), Spanish Cinema 1973-2010: Auteurism, Politics, Landscape and Memory. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- Stone, R. (2011) ‘Bits and Bytes: Film Studies through New Technologies’ in Pando Canteli, M. J. (ed.) Conjunctions and Disruptions: Communication, Information and Media Studies in Europe. University of Deusto, 163-76.
- Stone, R. (2011) ‘Compás y la reterritorialización del tiempo’ in Lefere, R. (ed.), Carlos Saura: una trayectoria ejemplar. Madrid: Visor Press, 95-111.
- Stone, R. (2011) ‘Al mal tiempo, buena cara: Spanish Slackers, Time-Images, New Media and the New Spanish Cinema Law’ in Davies, A. (ed.), Spain on Screen: Developments in Contemporary Spanish Cinema. Palgrave Macmillan, 41-59.
- Stone, R. (2009) ‘Remaining Bodies; The Time-Image as Terrorist Act’ in Rodríguez, M. P. (ed.), Cultural and Media Studies: Basque / European Perspectives.Reno: University of Nevada Press, Center for Basque Studies, 81-99.
- Stone, R. (2007) ‘Between Sunrise and Sunset: An Elliptical Dialogue between European and American Cinema’ in Cooke, P. (ed.), Dialogues with Hollywood: World Cinema’s Relationship with American Film Culture. Palgrave, 218-37.
- Stone, R. (2007) ‘Killing Time In Cuba: Juan Carlos Tabío’s “Lista de espera” (2000)’ in Shaw, D. (ed.), Contemporary Latin American Cinema. Rowan and Littlefield, 135-52.
- Stone, R. (2007) 'Spanish Film Noir’ in Spicer, A. (ed.), European Film Noir. Manchester University Press, 185-209.
- Stone, R. (2007) ‘Eye To Eye: The Persistence of Surrealism in Spanish Cinema’ in Harper, G. & R. Stone (eds), The Unsilvered Screen: Surrealism on Film. Wallflower Press, 23-37.
- Stone, R. (2006) ‘Mother Lands, Sister Nations: The Epic, Poetic, Propaganda Films of Cuba and the Basque Country’ in Dennison, S. & Song Hwee Lim (eds), Remapping World Cinema: Identity, Culture and Politics in Film. London and New York: Wallflower Press, 65-72.
- Stone, R. (2004) ‘¡Victoria?: A Modern Magdalene’ in Marsh, S. & P. Nair (eds), Gender in Spanish Cinema. Berg Publishers, 165-82.
Audiovisual Productions (Video Essays, Short Films and Documentaries)