I am currently working on two new research projects. Please get in touch if you are interested in having more information or in collaborating on either of them.
- Interdisciplinary Italy 1900-2020: Interart/Intermedia explores the interrelationships of the arts (literature, cinema, music, art etc.) in Italy through modernism, postmodernism and the digital age. It aims to write two histories of the 20th-21st centuries in Italy from an interartistic perspective, one dedicated to the digital age. It will underpin this work by developing theories on interartistic expression and intermediality. The AHRC project runs from June 2015 until August 2018 and will involve close collaboration with the Estorick Collection of Modern Italian Art in London and secondary school teachers
- Cinema, Religion, and Dissent. The Italian Case. This research project explores religion as a significant resistant feature of contemporary post-secular European society. Through analysis of a case study (Italian cinema), I discuss political engagement as this relates to both religious action and anti-religious protest in Italy, and look at the place of religion in contemporary Italian identity. The principal outcome of this project is a single-authored monograph entitled Religion, Identity and Dissent in Italian Cinema, which I am working on in 2015-16 and which is due to be published by University Toronto Press in 2017-18.
I completed a monograph on Marco Bellocchio's cinema (Marco Bellocchio: The Cinematic I in the Political Sphere(University of Toronto Press, 2010), and, together with Dr Daniele Albertazzi, Dr Charlotte Ross and Dr Nina Rothenberg, completed the British Academy funded project, resulting in the volume Resisting the Tide: Cultures of Opposition under Berlusconi (2001-2006)(Continuum, 2009). In 2005, I finished a research project on dream and hallucination in film, which resulted in a series of articles on Moretti, Fellini, Bellocchio, and referenced other, mainly European, directors.
I continue to work on poetry, and have a passion for this field. I published a book on Montale with Oxford University Press in 2002 (The Expression of the Inexpressible in Eugenio Montale's Poetry: Metaphor, Negation, and Silence), and have written a number of articles on early twentieth-century poetry. Alongside Dr Cosetta Veronese and Alex Standen, I have prepare the 20C Italian poetry section for the YWMLS and I have translated poetry.
Recent external research funding
- AHRC standard grant (PI) for 'Interdisciplinary Italy 1990-2020: Interart/Intermedia' with Dr Giuliana Pieri (Royal Holloway) and Dr Florian Mussgnug (UCL). 2015-2018 (@ £680,000).
- AHRC networking grant (PI) for 'Interdisciplinary Italy 1990-2015' with Dr Giuliana Pieri (Royal Holloway) and Dr Florian Mussgnug (UCL). 2012-2014 (£31,554)
- British Academy 'Larger Research Grants' Scheme for 'Resisting the Tide: Cultures of Opposition during the Berlusconi Years' (CI with D. Albertazzi and C. Ross) 2007-2009. (£84,891)
- AHRC/Institute of Germanic and Romance Studies Grant, 2009 (£3,000)
- AHRC Research Leave Grant to complete the monograph on the film-maker Marco Bellocchio for University of Toronto Press. 2007 (£25,907)