I am Senior Lecturer at the Media School, University of Bournemouth, Research Fellow at the Institute of Modern Languages Research, School of Advanced Study, University of London, and Honorary Research Fellow in Italian Studies at the University of Birmingham. I specialized in post-1945 Italian culture, literature and ideology, XX century metamorphoses of Dante, with a special focus on Pier Paolo Pasolini’s work and his reception of Dante's realism. My most recent research focuses on experimental narratives, transmedia practices and digital humanities.
- Master’s in Comparative Literature (UCL)
- Ph.D. in Italian Studies (University of Birmingham)
I graduated in Lettere Moderne at the University of Urbino, Italy (grade: 110/110 et lode) and I studied for a Master in Comparative Literature at UCL (grade: distinction). I completed a Ph.D. in Italian Studies at the University of Birmingham, under the supervision of Professor Michael Caesar. After my Ph.D. I have pursued a strategy of broadening my research interests in the area of Narratology, Culture and Media. In 2011 I was awarded a Visiting Professorship at the Internet Interdisciplinary Institute (IN3), UOC, Barcelona, directed by Manuel Castells and I re-launched, with Derrick De Kerckhove and Eric McLuhan, the International Journal of McLuhan Studies for which I was Editorial co-director. In 2013/2014 I was Senior Lecturer of Italian and Director of the Centre for the study of Cultural Memory at the IMRL, School of Advanced Study, University of London.
I have long standing experience in teaching Italian language and culture at undergraduate level in British and Italian universities (University of Exeter 1999/2000; University of Wales 2000-2004; University of Turin 2004-2005; University of Cagliari 2008-2011, NABA 2010-2013). I have also given research seminars on modern and contemporary Italian history, culture and society at postgraduate level (University of Cambridge 2012; University of Milan 2011; IN3 2010/2011). I have supervised academic work undertaken by both undergraduate and graduate students (University of Cagliari 2011; IMLR 2013/2014, University of Bournemouth 2014/2015). I have been responsible for the organization and coordination of the research training programme at the IMLR in 2013/2014. In 2014/2015 I have taught two new courses: "Developing Arguments" (a 1st-year course in cultural studies and media theory) and "Narrative Constructions" (a Master's level course).
I specialised in post-1945 Italian culture, literature and ideology, XX century metamorphoses of Dante, with a special focus on Pier Paolo Pasolini’s work and his reception of Dante's realism. My most recent research focuses on experimental narratives, transmedia practices and digital humanities.
Current projects: Co-organizer of the 2-day conference 'Experimental Narratives: from the novel to digital storytelling' (26-27 February 2015, London)
Past projects: Co-organizer and Member of the Steering Committee of the 2-day conference Memories of the Future (2-3 May 2014, London); Member of the Advisory Committee of the AHRC-funded Network 'Interdisciplinary Italy'.
Organization of Conferences, Symposia, Workshops, Seminars, Roundtables
Selected events (2014-2015)
- International Conference - Experimental Narratives: From the novel to digital storytelling. International conference. 26/27 February 2015, Senate House, London. Co-organized with Jordana Blejmar (IMLR) and Godela Weiss-Sussex (IMLR).
- Events Series - Italian culture and society in the Internet age 2014/2015. Senate House, London.
- Roundtable - “Apocalittici ed integrati”. Italian intellectuals and new technologies. Roundtable. Speakers: Florian Mussgnug (UCL), Daniela La Penna (Reading) and Charlotte Ross (Birmingham) in conversation with Pierpaolo Antonello (Cambridge), author of the book Dimenticare Pasolini. 30 May 2014, Senate House, London.
- International Conference - Memories of the Future. Co-organized with the University of the Arts London, Chelsea. London, 2-3 May 2014.
- Seminar - Fabio Vighi (Cardiff) on Agamben, trauma and post-capitalist scenarios (Italian Philosophy Seminar Series).7 April 2014, Senate House, London.
- Book launch - Amor che move by Manuele Gragnolati (Oxford) in conversation with Robert Gordon (Cambridge), Elena Lombardi (Oxford) and Emanuele Trevi (writer). 17 March 2014, Senate House, London. In collaboration with the Italian Cultural Institute, ICI Berlin, The Italian Bookshop.
- Seminar - Practising Theory: The Friction between Critical Theory and Writing Novels. Speakers: Enrico Palandri (UCL) and Nicola Gardini (Oxford). 7 March 2014, Senate House, London.
Past events (2005-2013)
- Book launch - Storia umana e inumana by Giorgio Pressburger in conversation with Laura Lepschy (UCL), Emma Bond (St.Andrews) and Manuele Gragnolati (Oxford). 25 November 2013, Senate House, London. In collaboration with the University of Oxford.
- Book launch - John Foot (Bristol University), Benedetta Tobagi (UCL) and Ilaria Favretto (Kingston) in conversation with Philip Cooke and Anna Cento Bull, authors of the book Ending Terrorism in Italy (Extremism and Democracy) (Routledge). In collaboration with the Modern Italian History Seminar.
- Conference panel - Italian transmedia culture: stories and storytelling across media. Biennial conference of the Society for Italian Studies, Durham, 9-11 July 2013 (Panelists and chairs: Emanuela Patti, Clodagh Brook, Marco Amici, Paolo Granata, Emanuela Piga, Giulio Iacoli, Marina Guglielmi, Anna Chierici, Donata Meneghelli, Francesco Monico).
- Symposium - Literature and transmediality. Co-organized with Dr. Florian Mussgnug. Centre for Intercultural Studies, University College London, UK, 25 May 2012. Sponsored by FIGGS and Roberts Funding. Invited speakers: Claudia Boscolo, Tommaso Pincio, Otto Gabos, Cristina Massaccesi, Federica Chiocchetti, Jakob Stougaard-Nielsen. Chairs: Pierpaolo Antonello, Federica Mazzara.
- International Conference - La nuova gioventù? The intellectual legacy of Pier Paolo Pasolini 30 years on. Co-organized with Laurence Hooper. Centre for Research in Arts Humanities and Social Sciences (CRAASH), Cambridge, UK, 4-5 November 2005. Sponsored by CRAASH and the Society of Italian Studies. Invited speakers: Giorgio Pressburger, Goffredo Fofi, Cecilia Mangini, Fabio Vighi, Armando Maggi, Antonio Tricomi, Mirko Grasso, Mariano D’Amora, Derek Duncan, Patrick Rumble and the organizers.
- Events Series and Conference - Trent’anni senza Pasolini. Member of the Advisory Board. Cagliari, 2-20 November 2005. Sponsored by Provincia di Cagliari, Regione Sardegna and DS. Organizer of the conference L’imperativo dell’espressività: Pasolini sperimentatore di linguaggi. ERSU, Università di Cagliari, Italy, 10 November 2005. Chair of Pasolini, tra identità e omologazione, interview with Goffredo Fofi. 9 November 2005. Please find further details of the event here: [http://www.pasolini.net/notizie_commem_cagliari-patti.htm]
Personal blog: emanuelapattidotnet.wordpress.com
- Pasolini after Dante: The "Divine Mimesis" and the Politics of Representation. Oxford: Legenda, (forthcoming in 2015).
- Transmedia. Storia, memoria e narrazioni attraverso i media (co-edited with Clodagh Brook), Milano: Mimesis (2014).
- La nuova gioventù? Saggi sull’eredità intellettuale di Pier Paolo Pasolini. Novi Ligure: Joker, 2009.
Chapters in books
- ‘Letteratura oltre i confini del libro. Storie e narrazioni attraverso i media’, in Marco Gargiulo (ed.), Lingua e cultura italiana nei mass media, Roma: Aracne, 2014.
- ‘From Dantean realism to postrealism: La Divina Mimesis and the mimetic project’, in D. Messina (ed.), Corpus xxx: Pasolini, Petrolio, Salò, Bologna: Clueb, 2012, 109-33.
- ‘We are a dream in a dream: the illusion of reality in film representation’, in Atti del I convegno NABA: Always Already New, Milan: M-Node Press, 2011, 303-10.
- ‘Fictional reality and real fiction in Pasolini and Fassbinder’, in F. Vighi e A.Nuss, Pasolini and Fassbinder: the European legacy between utopia and nihilism, Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2010, 37-48.
- ‘Ideologia e linguaggio: Pasolini e Sanguineti a confronto sul realismo di Dante’, in La nuova gioventù? Saggi sull’eredità intellettuale di Pier Paolo Pasolini. Novi Ligure: Joker, 2009, 88-105.
- ‘Petrolio, scrittura della differenza: memoria, storia e identità alla deriva’, in AA.VV., Tempo e memoria nella lingua e letteratura italiana. Atti del XVII congresso A.I.P.I., Vol. III: Narrativa del Novecento e degli anni Duemila, Bruxelles: Civiltà Italiana, 2009, 201-11.
- ‘Mimesis: Pasolini’s Will to be a Poet’, in B. Lawton Ben and M. Bergonzoni (eds). Pier Paolo Pasolini, 30 years later, Washington: New Academia Publishing, 2009, 115-30.
- ‘A poetic idea: (re)sacralizing the Wor(l)d. Pasolini’s project for a film about Saint Paul’, in L. Risso (ed). Politics and culture in Post-War Italy. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholar Press, 2006.
Articles in Journals
- ‘Linking Venus. New Technologies of Memory and Reconfiguration of Space at the Warburg Library’ (with François Quiviger), Between, 8 (Autumn 2014).
- ‘Pasolini, intellettuale mimetico’, in Studi Pasoliniani, 7 (Autumn 2013), 89-100.
- ‘Forme di dantismo ed antipetrarchismo nella poetica pasoliniana degli anni ’40’, in Letterature Straniere &(Quaderni della Facoltà di Lingue e Letterature Straniere dell'Università di Cagliari), n. 13 (novembre 2011), Roma: Aracne editrice, 269-80.
- ‘Petrolioas a model of UNO in Giuseppe Genna’s Italia De Profundis’, in Overcoming Postmodernism: The debate on the New Italian Epic, Special Issue of theJournal of Romance Studies, Volume 10, Number 1, Spring 2010, 83-95.
- ‘Pasolini’s La Divina Mimesis: frammenti di un discorso infernale’, Arachnofiles. A journal of European languages and cultures, 3 (Spring 2004).
- Emanuela Patti/Matteo Ciastellardi, ‘Recognizing McLuhan’s Critical Thought’ in International Journal of McLuhan Studies, 1 (Autumn 2011), 15-23.
- Emanuela Patti/Dimitri Chimenti, ‘Oggetti narrativi non identificati’, in Loop. Culture, linguaggi e conflitti dentro l'Apocalisse, Number 9 July/August 2010, 50-51.
- Massimo Riva, Pinocchio digitale. Postumanesimo e iper-romanzo, in Annali di Italianistica, 2013.
- Fabio Vighi, Sexual difference in European Cinema, in Between. Rivista dell’associazione di Teoria e Storia Comparata della Letteratura, Vol. 1, n° 2, 2011.
- Erminia Passannanti, Il corpo e il potere, in Allegoria, (52-53) Gennaio-Agosto, 2006, 222.
Interviews in Volumes and Academic Journals
- ‘From the Letter to Electronic Lettrism. The Reincarnation of the Word and the Implosion of the Muses’. Interview with Derrick de Kerckhove. International Journal of McLuhan Studies, 1 (Autumn 2011), 141-5.
- ‘Pasolini e i media’. Interview with Derrick de Kerckhove. La nuova gioventù? Saggi sull’eredità intellettuale di Pier Paolo Pasolini. Novi Ligure: Joker, 2009, 153-65.
On-line reviews and blogs