Topics to be covered:
1. Introduction to language.
2. Foundations of language.
3. Language development.
4. Understanding speech.
5. Understanding sentences.
6. Recognising visual words.
8. Word meaning.
10. The language system.
KEY LEARNING OUTCOMES:
On completion of this module the student will be able to:
1. Express basic knowledge of the linguistic structure of language in terms of semantics, syntax, morphology, phonology and phonetics.
2. Evaluate theories and evidence on the biological basis of language and language development.
3. Evaluate theories and evidence on speech perception and reading.
4. Evaluate theories and evidence on the mental representation of word meaning.