Nouns: compound nouns
Verbs: separable and inseparable verbs
use of tenses
participal constructions: past participle and present participle
Other: word formation: adjective, nouns, verbs
funtions of 'es'
2. Language Functions
A. Giving and Seeking Information
1. Describe objects and actions in unpredictable circumstances.
2. Compare objects and actions.
3. Summarize complex texts.
4. Comment on complex texts and issues.
1. Tell stories, jokes etc..
2. enter into discussions or have conversations on complex issues.
C. Getting things done
1. Make suggestions and decline suggestions.
D. Stating what you think and what others think
1. Express preferences and find out preferences of others.
2. Announce plans and course of action.
3. Give reasons for decisions or point of view.
4. Contradict or agree with arguments.
E. Stating and finding out feelings, emotions and intentions
1.Express fear, anxiety and hope.
3. Cultural Content
Students will be introduced to all aspects of German culture (including the German speaking countries) relevant to the language functions studied, through authentic materials taken from the German speaking media, pictures and some background material in English. Wherever possible, a contrastive analysis between Germany and the home country will be encouraged.
Social conventions: pros and cons of formal address, “male” and “female” language, letter writing
Public holidays and social occasions
Daily life: coping with problems
Technology: a visit to the Deutsche Museum
History and culture: post war history and attitudes of young people; theatre, museums, festivals, cinema etc.