At Birmingham, we pride ourselves on offering the highest-quality experience in both your academic and student life. You’ll be joining a leading university community, working alongside academics who are global experts in their field. We’ll guide you towards self study, encouraging and emphasising the importance of originality and independent thinking.
An elite academic experience at a university that pushes the boundaries of knowledge
We perform consistently well in ratings and rankings, so when you come to the University of Birmingham you can rest assured that you are joining a leading institution with proven credentials.
You’ll be part of a diverse community located in an inspirational campus setting, with access to the most vibrant multicultural city in the UK on your doorstep. We’re constantly expanding and improving our campus, with our most recent investments being in the planned building of a brand new multi-million pound sports centre, a redeveloped library with a cultural hub and a brand new student hub housed in the iconic Aston Webb building.
Some of our rankings include:
- In The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2014, Birmingham is ranked 16th out of 121 universities surveyed and was also awarded University of the Year 2013-2014
- In the 2014 National Student Survey Birmingham achieved an impressive 89% overall student satisfaction rating, up from 88% for the past two years and a rise of five places among Russell Group institutions
- In 2014 the University was ranked as =18th out of 111 institutions in The Times Higher Education (THE) Student Experience Survey
- The 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) confirmed Birmingham's position amongst top research universities, with more than 81% of all research carried out by the University rated as 'world leading' or 'internationally excellent' in terms of its originality, significance and rigour
- Our 250-acre campus was listed in The Telegraph's most beautiful universities in Britain, with the Joseph Chamberlain Memorial Clock Tower (“Old Joe”) also making THE's list of the 10 most beautiful university buildings in the UK
Life-changing opportunities that prepare you for success
Your Birmingham experience will prepare you for life as an active member of a global society by transforming your prospects in a competitive employment market. From the outset we will provide opportunities for mentoring support from our outstanding graduates, career skills and development, community volunteering and leadership skills. You will graduate from Birmingham prepared for the changing economic landscape of the 21st century.
The University has been recognised for its impressive graduate employment in the Sunday Times Good University Guide. 86.5% of our students obtained graduate level work within 6 months of graduating, higher than both Oxford (80.8%) and Durham (84.5%).
To support our students in their search for employment, we have invested £5 million in our Careers Network services. This investment has included our award winning internship scheme. The scheme provides short term internships for our students across the globe. We have also been ranked 55th in the world in the International Herald Tribune Global Employability Rankings, placing us at 9th in the UK for universities most frequently selected by global employers.
An outstanding learning environment in a global city
You will be part of a diverse community located in an inspirational campus setting, with access to the most vibrant multicultural city in the UK on your doorstep. You will relish your time at Birmingham, and the friendships you will make and the experience you share will shape your future.
The University's 250 acre campus was recently listed in the top ten most beautiful universities in Britain by The Telegraph. It is a campus that is expanding and improving all the time with our most recent investments being in the planned building of a brand new multi-million pound sports centre, a redeveloped library with a cultural hub and a brand new student hub housed in the iconic Aston Webb building.
Find out more about Birmingham