About my application


Can I still apply for an undergraduate course if I have qualifications and/or experience other than A levels?

Can I still apply if I will be under 18 when my course begins?

Yes: Applicants must normally be 17 years old by 1 October of the year in which their programme starts. Contact us if you need more information.

I am currently studying for an undergraduate degree at another university: can I transfer to Birmingham/ apply for second or third year entry at Birmingham?

It is possible to transfer to Birmingham but it will depend on whether the course you are interested in will accept transfer students. It may also depend on your circumstances, your previous qualifications and how you are progressing throughout your current programme. You should talk it through with staff at your current university and make contact with admissions to discuss your options. The UCAS website can also provide useful information.

Will I be interviewed as part of the application process?

Whilst the majority of courses do not require an interview, some departments may want to meet with you before making you an offer (e.g. Medicine). Some departments are now including interviews as part of the Applicant Visit Days. Applicants will be advised if this is relevant to them. Otherwise please contact the individual school or department for further information.

Will I need to take an admissions test?

Most of our undergraduate degree courses do not require an admissions test.  However, there are exceptions: LLB Law, for example. We also require all international students to supply evidence of proficiency in the English language. Further details can be found in our individual course listings in course finder.

What is the UCAS campus code for the University of Birmingham? 

Our UCAS campus code is B32.

What makes a good personal statement on the UCAS form?

The personal statement is your chance to convince admissions tutors that you would be an excellent Birmingham student. You should demonstrate that you have a genuine interest in your chosen subject and the motivation to succeed. For further information please visit the how to apply section of our website.

What is the deadline for submitting my application?

Deadlines for applications are regularly updated on the UCAS website.

I am a UK/EU student who has missed the 15 January UCAS  deadline for applications: can I still apply?

The procedure for dealing with applications received after this date is found on the UCAS website. UCAS will continue to forward applications to the University for a period after the closing date for us to consider at our discretion. We may still consider your application if it is late but would advise you to telephone us to discuss it.

I'm not sure if I will pay the Home or Overseas fee? 

You can gain an indication of your fee status by checking with UKCISA*. Once you have submitted your application and there is any doubt over your fee status, we will issue you with a fee status questionnaire which will help us to establish your fee status. Please ensure that you complete each section of the questionnaire. The more information you can provide relating to your nationality and residence the better. If you think we have made a mistake in assessing your fee status then please contact us to discuss your status and we may ask you to provide us with further evidence to support your claim.

*UKCISA The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) is the UK’s national advisory body serving the interests of international students and those who work with them.

Can I apply for more than one course at Birmingham?

Yes, although it is a good idea to explain why you have chosen to do so in your personal statement. Remember that the statement will also be seen by all your chosen universities and colleges who will not know what other institutions you have applied to.

Can I study part time?

UCAS courses are offered on a full-time basis, although contact hours will vary amongst the different courses. Please check your course content or contact your admissions tutor for more details on contact hours for individual courses.

We do offer some continuing professional developments courses at an undergraduate level within our postgraduate admissions, which may be studied on a full, part-time or distance education basis. Please see individual courses for details.

Who should I contact if I have questions about the content of the course I am interested in?

For any questions regarding course content, you should contact the relevant admissions tutor. To find the relevant admissions tutor’s name, email address and phone number, check the course listing in our course finder.

I want to take a gap year. Can I apply now and defer my place?

We welcome students who want to take a gap year and you can apply before or during it, whichever you prefer. If you are applying before your gap year and wish to defer your entry, please tell us this on your UCAS form. It is also helpful if you tell us how you plan to spend your gap year.

My teacher is no longer at my school. Who can provide me with a reference instead?

If you are currently studying, or have left recently, your referee should be a tutor from your school or college who can comment on your ability to succeed on the course. If your teacher has left, try speaking to your school or college to see whether there is another member of staff that can help you and discuss making your application through them.

Please note: a family member or friend cannot act as your referee.