Supporting documents

Where should I send my supporting documents and will you confirm you have received them?

You should send any supporting documents to: Admissions, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT – or you can email them to You will receive an acknowledgement of their safe arrival. Do not send supporting documents to UCAS.

I've sent in my original documents - will I get them back?

We can either hold your documents in Admissions to collect when you start your course or we can post them back to you. We will put them in a hard backed envelope to protect the contents.

Will you accept scanned copies of documents?

We will accept scanned documents during the initial application process but if you are offered a place any documents we request must be originals or certified copies of the originals.

My supporting documents are not in English. Do I need to provide translated documents and who should translate them?

All documents must be in English (or be accompanied by a certified English translation). For help with translating them, go to an organisation such as the British Council, your institution or a University of Birmingham overseas representative in your country. If an offer is made, you may also be asked to provide an original or certified copy in the original language. 

What is a transcript?

A transcript is a list of the modules/units taken and grades earned by a student throughout a course. It is a copy of a student's permanent academic record, including all grades received. Please contact the institution that you attended to provide you with a transcript of your studies.

What is a certified copy?

A certified copy is a copy of an original document which has on it an endorsement or certification stamp confirming that it is a true copy of the original document.

Who can certify my documents?

• Your institution (school/college/University)
• A notary
• A University of Birmingham overseas representative in your country.
• Some branches of the British Council

What are the English Language requirements?