Second year module
Lecturers: Toby Kendall
This module focusses on the application of economic theory to the understanding and assessment of UK economic performance and policy. It is designed to complement core microeconomics and macroeconomics modules, looking at applications of the theory and policy analysis, with a specific focus on the UK and on issues relevant to current policy debate.
The syllabus will be adapted to reflect current policy issues. Topics that might be covered include: the housing market; immigration; the financial crisis and recession; fiscal policy; the pensions crisis.
By the end of this module, students should be able to:
- critically evaluate aspects of UK economic performance and policy
- apply their understanding of economic concepts to real-world situations
- demonstrate an understanding of how economic theory is used to formulate policy
- 3 hour written examination 60%
- 2x 1500-word essays (1 in each term) 20% each