- Number of A levels required:
- Typical offer:
- Required subjects and grades:
- Biology at A level (grade B or above); A GDC recognised Dental Nursing qualification may be submitted in lieu of one A Level subject. GCSEs should include English, Mathematics and a Biological Science or higher tier dual award Science, and a further three subjects at Grade C or above
- General Studies:
- not accepted
We not not accept BTEC or Access to Higher Education qualifications.
Other qualifications are considered – learn more about entry requirements
- Interviewees would be expected to be familiar with the role of the Dental Hygienist and Dental Therapist within the dental team in the United Kingdom
- Satisfactory references, interview, health screening and criminal records searches are all part of the selection process. If the application is successful you will be asked to provide satisfactory evidence of non infectivity and immunisation against Hepatitis B.
- The School of Dental Hygiene & Therapy is committed to the promotion of equal opportunities for all, and welcomes applicants from all cultural and ethnic backgrounds Individuals are selected on the basis of their relevant merits and abilities.
- Birmingham School of Dental Hygiene & Therapy currently has no facility to offer places to overseas students from non-EU countries or students with overseas qualifications seeking shortened courses
- Selected applicants will be invited for interview.
- All successful applicants must produce satisfactory evidence of immunisation against Hepatitis B and evidence of non-infectivity for HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C virus prior to confirmation of a place and becoming registered as a dental student. (The UK Government Department of Health now requires all potential undergraduate dental students to undergo additional health clearance before acceptance onto the course; additional health clearance stipulates that individuals must be non-infectious for HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C. For further information about these requirements, please see: Medical and Dental Students: Health clearance for Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, HIV and Tuberculosis).
- Students will be required to complete a successful Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check before admission to the programme.
- All students will be required to sign the subject-specific Fitness to Practise Code of Conduct on entry, details of which will be forwarded with an offer letter.
- Candidates are expected to show a range of skills including dexterity, communication and teamwork. Some work experience in dentistry, particularly shadowing a dental hygienist or dental therapist, is required before completing the UCAS form.
Selection of students
Candidates should demonstrate work observation/experience in Dental Hygiene and Therapy in the UK and evidence of good dexterity (for example, through playing a musical instrument, model-making, DIY work or art). All applicants who have been offered a place at Birmingham will be offered the opportunity to attend the department for a day of familiarisation with the programme.
Please note: This course is open to home/EU students only.
Applicants whose first language is not English must demonstrate competence in English by passing IELTS with a score of 7.0 or higher.
International Baccalaureate Diploma: 6,5,5 at Higher Level (to include biology and preferably chemistry) with a minimum of 32 points overalll.
Depending on your chosen course of study, you may also be interested in one of our foundation pathways, which offer specially structured programmes for international students whose qualifications are not accepted for direct entry to UK universities. Further details can be found on Birmingham International Academy web pages.