- Number of A levels required:
- Typical offer:
- AAA to AAB
- Required subjects and grades:
- All applicants must offer at least one of these preferred subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Economics, Geography, Human Biology, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology, Sport Studies/Physical Education, Statistics, English Language, English Literature, English language/Literature, History and Sociology.
Excluded A Levels: We do not accept Applied Science, Citizenship Studies, Communication and Culture, Critical Studies, Critical Thinking, General Studies, Global Perspectives, Moving Image Arts, Science in Society, Use of Maths and World Development.
Also required: GCSE grade C (or equivalent) in English, Maths and a Science.
Some offers of ABB will be made to those applicants with multiple A levels from the preferred list and an exceptional supporting statement.
BTEC: We consider students with a BTEC in a science-related discipline, with the following requirements:
- 18 units: Distinctions in all 18 units
- 12 units: Distinctions in all 12 units plus an A level from the preferred list at Grade B
- 6 units: Distinctions in all 6 units plus 2 A levels from the preferred list at Grade BB
Those taking A Levels subjects outside of the preferred list will be made A grade offers.
In addition, all BTEC applicants must have a strong GCSE profile.
Other qualifications are considered – Please contact the School's Student Recruitment Manager for advice on whether your particular qualifications, or combination of qualifications, will meet the entry requirements.
A satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service check (previously the Criminal Records Bureau check) and ISA registration are required from accepted candidates before registration on the programme.
International Baccalaureate Diploma: minimum 32 points, including one of the following subjects at HL: Biology, Chemistry, Economics, English A1, Geography, History, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology or Social and Cultural Anthropology. 5 points in each of SL English and Maths if not offered at GCSE or equivalent.
Please note that we have reviewed our policy on the IB Diploma for 2016 entry and our offers will now focus on performance in Higher Level subjects. For more information and details please read our 2016 IB Diploma requirements
Standard English language requirements apply
Learn more about international entry requirements
Depending on your chosen course of study, you may also be interested in the Birmingham Foundation Academy, a specially structured programme for international students whose qualifications are not accepted for direct entry to UK universities. Further details can be found on the foundation academy web pages.