The University of Birmingham will be offering 20 Music Scholarships to new undergraduates in September 2015.
Am I eligible to apply?
In order to be considered for a Music Scholarship, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You must be classed as a “home” student (i.e. been normally resident in the UK for three years prior to the start of your course);
- You must have selected Birmingham as your “firm” choice following an offer of a place on a full-time undergraduate programme (other than a programme offered by the Department of Music) commencing in September 2015;
- You must be performing at a Grade 8 standard in instrumental or vocal studies and supply both documentary and video evidence of your performing standard.
What is the scholarship worth?
Each scholarship will offer approximately 17 hours of musical tuition per year for three years and will be administered by the UoB Department of Music; tuition may be delivered either by tutors employed by the UoB Department of Music, or at the Birmingham Conservatoire. This musical tuition will have a cash value of £1,000 per year, or £3,000 over the lifetime of the award.
In order to continue to receive the Music Scholarship in subsequent years, each Music Scholar must make academic progression at a 2:1 standard in their studies and commit to playing in at least one ensemble organised by the Department of Music or the University Music Society.
How can I apply?
To apply, please complete and submit an online Music Scholarship application form. In addition to submitting your application, you are required to include:
- A copy of your grade 8 or diploma certificate and mark sheet (if you have not passed a grade 8 examination, we will accept a letter from your instrumental/vocal tutor attesting that you are performing at a grade 8 standard or above).
- Video evidence of your performing standard. This takes the form of two contrasting works taken from a recognised examination syllabus at either grade 8 or diploma level. The videos must be submitted via YouTube or via DVD.
- A copy of the sheet music from pieces that you have chosen to perform for your application.
The additional materials above can be submitted via the online application form, via electronic attachments submitted via www.studenthelp.bham.ac.uk or via post to the student Funding Office. For further details, please consult the Music Scholarship guidance notes (PDF - 158KB).
When is the deadline?
The deadline for submitting a completed Music Scholarship application will be 17:00 on Monday 4 May 2015.
How will the successful applicants be selected?
Following the deadline all completed applications will be collated with documentary and video evidence and forwarded to a selection panel composed of various members of academic staff from the Department of Music. Selection of successful candidates will be based on academic standard (e.g. your A Level results) and your musical preforming standard and experience as evidenced by your video and documentary evidence and personal statement.
When will I be notified of the outcome?
Applicants will be informed of the outcome following the release of A Level qualifications in August 2015.
Music Experience Day
Scholarship applicants are invited to attend our Music Experience Day on Sunday 22 February 2015. The day will give you the opportunity to play and sing in a variety of our ensembles and gives students/parents/guardians the opportunity to speak to members of staff about scholarships, music facilities and opportunities at the University for extra-curricular music-making. For full details and to register to attend please visit the Music Experience Day web page.