Gateway Bursary

Level of study
Any Undergraduate
Subject area
Arts and Law, Engineering and Physical Sciences, Life and Environmental Sciences, Medical and Dental Sciences, Social Sciences
Nationality
EU, Overseas (Non-EU), UK
Type of Award
University
Deadline for applying
Closed 15/04/2017 (Note: competition closed for this year)

Award Description

The Gateway bursary provides financial support to students at the University of Birmingham undertaking internships or work experience relevant to their future career. The aim of the bursary is to assist students in improving their personal and professional development by allowing them to take up critical experiences they may otherwise not be able to afford. Awards are available for work experience placements throughout the academic year.

Value of Award

Financial support is tiered up to £2,000 though most awards will fall between £100 and £780. The bursary will be used to help with expenses such as accommodation, travel, living costs, bills and utilities, insurance, childcare and disability support services. Usually 90% of the bursary will be paid before a placement begins, with the remaining 10% being paid after the work experience is completed and a placement report has been handed in. The bursary may be used to help fund international placements though students must provide a good reason as to why this experience cannot be found in the UK.

In addition, two Psychology students will be able to request funding assistance of up to £720 each. If you are unsuccessful in applying for that award, your application will still be considered for the Gateway Bursary.

Eligibility Criteria

The Gateway bursary has been created to support all undergraduate students except those in their final year, from certain priority groups; so only students who consider themselves part of the following categories may apply:

  • In receipt of a standard or alternative A2B (Access to Birmingham) offer
  • Registered as disabled / in receipt of Disability Student Allowance
  • A care leaver
  • First generation of the family into higher education
  • From a lower income background i.e. in receipt of a grant or scholarship
  • A lone parent (you are a single parent of one or more children)
  • From an ethnic minority

How to Apply

In order to apply for this bursary you must complete and submit an online application form, which can be found on the Gateway Bursary page during the time that the competition is open.

Once the application deadline has passed, all applications received on-line will be assessed by Careers Network staff. Applicants who are successful in passing this first assessment stage will then be invited to attend a short panel interview and to deliver a five minute presentation, training for which will be provided. If you pass both of these stages, you may then be granted a bursary.

Contact

Careers Network
internships@contacts.bham.ac.uk