Topics to be covered:
1. Intro to sensory-motor systems and muscles
2. Spinal reflexes & proprioception
3. Cortical motor systems
4. Oculomotor systems
5. Basal ganglia, sequence learning & reinforcement learning
6. Associative learning in simple systems
7. Hippocampus, LTP and spatial memory
8. Cerebellum, LTD, VOR, eye-blink conditioning
9. Neural coding
10. Cognitive motor control
KEY LEARNING OUTCOMES:
On completion of this module the student will be able to:
Describe the major neural systems contributing to human motor control.
Describe spinal reflex pathways and the control of posture.
Understand the structure and connections of major motor systems.
Describe the function of motor cortical areas, basal ganglia and cerebellum.
Show an understanding of neural codes.
Show an understanding of the neural basis of learning.
Discuss cognitive aspects of motor planning and motor memory.