What is mentoring?
Mentoring is a powerful personal development and empowerment tool. It is an effective way of helping people to progress in their careers and is becoming increasingly popular as its potential is realised.
A mentor is a guide who can help a mentee find the right direction and who can help them to develop solutions to career issues. Mentoring provides the mentee with an opportunity to think about career options and progress.
A mentor is someone who can help a learner through an important transition in
- Learning – helping them to acquire knowledge, skills and understanding
- Coping – with a new or difficult situation
- Career Guidance
- Personal growth – helping them take responsibility for themselves, their careers and development.
Mentors play a wide variety of roles.
- Coach - helping someone acquire new skills
- Career counsellor – listening and helping work out solutions
- Networker – helping someone build connections
- Facilitator – helping to set and achieve goals
- Critical friend – providing support as well as constructively challenging
- Sounding Board – someone to try ideas out on
- Role model – providing an example from which others can learn.