College accommodation Whether you're planning to live in University accommodation or rent a house privately, there is help available to you from the University.

Hearing about your University accommodation

For all of the below please bear in mind that accommodation is allocated on a first come, first served basis according to the date of application and therefore we cannot guarantee you will be allocated your first preference of accommodation. We always try to get as close to your preferences or facility choices as possible.

September arrivals – conditional students

If you are coming to the University of Birmingham with a conditional offer and applied within the Freshers’ Guarantee Scheme , Accommodation Services allocate your accommodation within 10 to 14 days from the day A-level results are released.

September arrivals – unconditional students

If you are coming to Birmingham with an unconditional offer, Accommodation Services allocate your accommodation in July. If you have not heard anything by early August, then please contact LIVING Accommodation Services .

September arrivals – insurance, clearing, and applications outside the Freshers’ Guarantee Scheme

If you are coming to Birmingham with an insurance or clearing offer, or did not apply within the Freshers’ Guarantee Scheme , make sure you have applied for accommodation . Accommodation Services will then contact you around 10 days after A Level results day.

If you are planning to be on holiday during these times and will not have access to your registered email account, you must email to let them know. Failure to do so may result in your allocation being cancelled unnecessarily. 

University accommodation

You should arrange accommodation before you arrive. If you have any questions about your accommodation please first check LIVING's website and/or FAQs . If you have not arranged accommodation yet or if you have further queries relating to University accommodation which you have already been allocated, contact LIVING Accommodation Services for information and advice.

Private accommodation

LIVING Accommodation Services can help you with queries about your contract or landlord as well as finding accommodation in the private sector with the University's official website, Studentpad .

SHAC is a dedicated letting agency run by the Guild, and can help you in your search for private rented accommodation.

Accommodation support during your studies

Accommodation support is available for you if you have any issues with accommodation once you have started your studies.  

  • We would love to hear your feedback on our site. Please fill out this form or email us at
  • Was this page useful?

Student views

"They become your family, your flatmates, your new found friends and you’ll be amazed that people you’ve known for two weeks suddenly become your family."