Private accommodation

students looking at map

Whether you choose to live in university owned accommodation or private accommodation during your time at university, the experienced team at Living are here to help you every step of the way.

There are many different types of accommodation within the local area. Check out all of the options and make sure you are completely happy before choosing your new home and signing a contract - as contracts are legally binding you will be expected to stay in the chosen property and pay rent for the agreed duration.

Birmingham Studentpad

Birmingham Studentpad is the official University of Birmingham property search engine, featuring properties belonging to accredited landlords who offer single rooms, house shares, self-contained flats and also houses for couples or families close to the university.

All landlords advertising through Studentpad are required to be accredited under the Midland Landlord Accreditation Scheme.

Studentpad also provides a Message Board, which can be used to advertise your room in order to find a replacement or to meet other potential housemates

Guild Lettings

Guild Lettings is the University's very own lettings agency in partnership with Living and run by the Guild of Students. Located in Living (inside University Centre), they can help all students in their search for private rented accommodation. They offer a variety of properties for groups and individuals. Guild Lettings only advertise properties from Midlands Landlords Accreditation Scheme accredited landlords and do not charge any fees. 

Estate Agents or Letting Agents

There are many letting agents located close to the University who will provide details of properties they have available to rent. We advise you to use an agent that is accredited under the Midlands Landlord's Accreditation Scheme. Agencies often charge non-refundable fees, so you should compare prices before you decide to sign a contract.

Purpose Built Student Accommodation

If you do not want to live in a shared house or flat you can choose to apply to live in purpose built student accommodation. Like university student accommodation, these private residences offer flats and studios with bills and maintenance included and often have 24 hour management in case of emergency.

House Hunting Guide

livingbannerLiving has launched an online, interactive House Hunting Guide for any students looking to move into the private sector. The House Hunting Guide aims to answer all of your questions on finding a house, rent or tenancy agreements and will assist you in finding your new home. Moreover, the guide is packed with useful links and videos and features a printable checklist of all the things you need to look for when viewing a property, as well as a complete calendar of all the House Hunting events run by the University.

The House Hunting Guide is available by logging onto the Accommodation Portal.

Contact Living

Living are here to help with all aspects of your private sector accommodation from searching, to living in the community.

Do not feel pressured into a contract if you are unsure. Living offer a free contract reviewing service to help you understand your tenancy agreement before you sign. Just pop into their shop in University Centre, no appointment is needed.

There are many things to consider before you rush into signing a legally binding document.  Visit the Renting accommodation privately pages for key information.

  • Feedback and suggestions
    We'd love to know if this page was helpful to you.
  • Was this page useful?
  • Getting help
    If you need help or have a question, please email us at Make sure you include your contact details if you'd like a response.