University accommodation

Masonlake accommodation

This page has information to help you choose university accommodation. 

Am I guaranteed a place in University accommodation?

The University Accommodation Services department provides accommodation for both Undergraduate and Postgraduate students.

Subject to specific conditions the department guarantees all first year undergraduate students university accommodation and also first year international postgraduate students that are new to Birmingham, and coming to the UK on their own.

For further information and details of how to apply for accommodation please visit the Accommodation Services website. 

What type of accommodation is available?

The University has several accommodation sites, which differ in size, services available and prices.  Students can choose between catered and self catered accommodation, although the majority of university accommodation is self catered where students prepare their own meals. 

For further information on the types of accommodation available visit the Accommodation Services website.

Students with families

You should contact Accommodation Services as soon as possible if you require family accommodation. Your application will be registered on a waiting list and the accommodation will be offered on a date-order basis. Please visit the Accommodation Services website for further information.

There is also housing available within the private sector that is suitable for families.

How to choose your accommodation

Before you agree to University accommodation you should consider the following points:

  • Make sure you can afford the accommodation: make a budget to make sure you will have enough money for your accommodation and all your living costs such as food and clothing.
  • Accommodation is at different sites, so make sure you understand how far your accommodation will be from the main university campus
  • Consider if you are likely to get on with the other tenants – if you have specific needs then you need to make sure you have chosen the right accommodation, for example if you are vegetarian, or require same sex accommodation.
  • You will be agreeing to a legally binding contract to pay rent for the full contract period. This means if you decide to leave your accommodation before your housing contract ends, you will still have to pay rent for the full contract period. Accommodation Services normally will not release you from the contract unless you have withdrawn as a student or have found a suitable replacement tenant.
  • Make sure you are happy with the room you have been allocated, it may not be possible to change it at a later date
  • If you intend to come to the UK by yourself and invite your family at a later date, you should inform Accommodation Services before you agree any University accommodation so that you move into suitable accommodation.
  • If you do not understand any points of your housing contract or require further information you should contact Accommodation Services for assistance.
  • Feedback and suggestions
    We'd love to know if this page was helpful to you.
  • Was this page useful?

Cost of living in the UK

Before you choose your accommodation you should first carefully work out your budget for the UK as you will have additional costs as well as accommodation.  The Student Funding Office provides sample living costs for the UK.