Access to UK study for students from the USA

As a student counsellor, you may be supporting students who are looking to study in the UK. At Birmingham we offer an additional year of study for those who do not meet the required entry level to progress directly onto an undergraduate study.

Our four-year undergraduate degree with an integrated preparatory year, combines the highest standards of education with a fully integrated student experience from one of Britain’s leading global universities, enabling your students to immediately immerse themselves in UK student culture.

This freshman year will act as an AP bridging or adjustment year and students will study a robust set of modules to develop their subject knowledge and academic writing skills in preparation for their undergraduate degree.

Explore our pathways

Students choose from four broad pathways, which lead onto almost all of our undergraduate programmes at Birmingham, and successful completion of this intital year guarantees progression to undergraduate study.

Students can study two routes for each pathway:

  • Pathway one: the core set of subjects, including Academic English
  • Pathway two: high-level English, allowing students to study more subject modules 

The route they pursue will depend on their current level of English language and academic skills, and both will ensure students are fully prepared for the challenges of undergraduate study.

What are the differences between US and UK Higher Education?

Most Bachelor degree programmes in the UK last for three years and include 'Honours', which may require a dissertation or 'special project' to be completed in the third year. 

However we also have degrees which can last for four years as they may include a year studying abroad or an incorporated Masters year (mainly engineering and computing programmes).

Meet us in the USA

Regional Manager for the USA, Carl Adaway will be visiting the USA, for more details please reach out to Carl

You can keep up to date with when we will be visiting the USA to meet with students and counsellors, or visit conferences, on our dedicated country page.

How can your students apply?

Students can apply directly to the University through our online application.

If your students are interested in studying our four-year integrated degree, explore our mini-site to find out more about the programme we offer.

Students can also contact us in the following ways to answer any questions they might have:

Need extra advice?

Contact our International Officer for North America, Carl Adaway: