Canadian tax credits relating to education

 Cash register image with receipts

Students who file a Canadian tax return may claim reduced tax on their education expenses.

What can you claim?

You can claim tuition fees for each whole or part month that you were enrolled in a qualifying educational program at a designated educational institution and any of the following apply:

  • You were enrolled full time (you are not considered to be in full-time attendance at a university outside Canada if you are taking courses through a distance learning program or over the Internet).
  • You were enrolled part time and can claim the disability amount.
  • You were enrolled part-time because of a mental or physical impairment, but you do not qualify for the disability amount. 

How can you claim?

If you wish to make a claim you will need to have the TL11A form (Tuition, Education and Textbook amounts Certificate - University outside of Canada) completed by Accounts Receivable.  You can request the form by contacting Accounts Receivable via one of the following options:

Please ensure you include your student ID number in your request. 

Forms are completed in accordance with regulations to reflect the calendar year: 1 January until 31 December. Therefore, you will need two forms for a standard academic year and the tuition fees paid will be proportioned accordingly.

Please note: the form will only be signed once the year has ended or you have completed your studies, whichever is earlier.