Consumer Information

Application bannerUnder the Federal Code of Regulations both current and prospective students are advised to review the codes of practice, policies and guidance, in particular, the areas of:

  • Copyright infringement (see 'Computer Use' )
  • Drugs and alcohol (see 'Misconduct')
  • Student attendance and diligence (see 'Reasonable Diligence')

Please refer to the Welcome Guide (PDF - 4MB) for our advice on vaccinations.

In addition students should be aware of the services available from the Disability and Learning Support Service and that any related costs can be included in their Cost of Attendance when applying for Federal or private loans. 

Satisfactory Academic Progress

All students who are in receipt of US Federal Aid whilst studying at the University of Birmingham, are required to make satisfactory academic progress on their course of study and abide by the University's Ordinances and Regulations.

Please refer to our Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for further information.

Return to Title IV Funds

Students can only access Federal funds if they are 'earning' them by being enrolled on an eligible programme.  If full-time enrolment status changes, students are legally required to inform the University so that the University can amend and/or cancel subsequent disbursements where necessary.  Students should refer to the Return to Title IV Funds Policy for further information.

Missing persons

The University of Birmingham’s processes for dealing with Missing Students forms part of the Student Critical Incident and other related Protocols.

Staff or students concerned about a student’s whereabouts should contact University Security, who in turn consults with the Student Services Division (SSD). SSD initiate appropriate checks with a range of internal and external agencies, which may include specific campus welfare services (for instance, Mental Health Advisors), student residences, and if appropriate, emergency family contacts. 

SSD then undertake one of a range of appropriate responses, up to and including contacting West Midlands Police to report the student formally as a Missing Person and request a “Safe and Well” check. SSD may also contact the relevant embassy or consulate for international students.

For students under the age of 18 reported as missing, the parents/guardians and West Midlands Police are immediately contacted.

The University of Birmingham student residences and affiliated third-party accommodation providers all have 24-hour security, manned receptions and comprehensive CCTV cover. A 24-hour call-out rota for Student Services staff is also in operation.

Textbook information

You can use the Library Services Reading List system to discover which textbooks are recommended for your programme.

All US students are reminded that recommended books are available to borrow from one of our libraries; therefore, you are not required to purchase any book yourself unless you choose to.

Retention, graduation and transfer-out rates

Click to review data on Retention, graduation and transfer-out rates (PDF - 200KB) at the University of Birmingham.

Cost of Attendance (COA)

The average figures recommended for supplies, books/photocopying, transportation, utilities are published on our applying for a loan page.  

The average Cost of Attendance during the 2016-17 academic year was $36,501 for Postgraduates; $19,427 for Undergraduates and $29,957 for Professionals.

Exchange Rates 

The University of Birmingham has set the exchange rate at 1.41 for the academic year 2017-18.  This has been calculated using the exchange rate on the 1st day of every month for the last 12 months, with an additional discretionary 10% to account for any fluctuations in exchange rate.

Please note this is may not be the actual exchange rate you receive when you receive your loan – but intended as a guide to help convert the costs of studying here in Birmingham from GBP to US Dollars for the purposes of applying for your loan.  The actual exchange rate will be that on the day when the University receives your loan in the University’s UK bank account from the US Treasury.

Frequently asked questions

Glossary of Terms

Cost of Attendance (COA) - The total amount of money that a student requires for educational purposes, including: tuition fees, accommodation, books and supplies, transport, loan fees, and if applicable, disability assistance and dependent care.

Deferment/In-School Deferment - Deferment is a temporary period during which a borrower is not required to make payments. 

Disbursement - A pre-agreed amount of money, which is released to you. 

Entrance & Exit Counselling - Entrance Counselling is a federal requirement of all first-time borrowers taking out a Federal Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loans. Exit Counselling will be requested by all borrowers upon completion of, or withdrawal from, their degree program.

Exchange Rate - The University uses a standard exchange rate for the year to help calculate your Cost of Attendance (COA).

Expected Family Contribution (EFC) - The amount dependent students are expected to receive in financial support from their parents.

FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid used by the U.S. Department of Education (ED) to determine your financial need. 

Financial Aid Office - This is the term used by the U.S. Department of Education (ED) to refer to the office within your chosen University who administers Federal Aid.  At the University of Birmingham, this office is Funding, Graduation & Awards.

Forbearance - A period during which your monthly loan payments are temporarily suspended or reduced, as granted by your Lender.

Interest - Interest is money paid to your lender in exchange for borrowing money. Interest is calculated as a percentage of the unpaid principal amount (loan amount) borrowed. 

Master Promissory Note (MPN) - A legal document in which you promise to repay your loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees. 

National Student Data Loan System (NSLDS) - The U.S. Department of Education's central database for student aid to maintain a record of a student's loan history.

Origination Fee - A charge made by the lender to cover the administrative charges related to your loan. The origination fee will be taken from each disbursement.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) - A measure of your continuing eligibility for a Federal Loan, based on academic contact points being met, satisfactory attendance and minimum grade achievement.

Student Aid Report (SAR) - A compilation of all the information submitted on the FAFSA. The information is used by the University to assess eligibility for Federal Loans.