UK Visa Requirements

Depending on your nationality you may need to apply for a visa to enter the UK for study. This will give you permission to enter the UK and study here.

From the 1 January 2020 all non-UK citizens will need a form of immigration permission to study in the UK. However, these can vary depending on your nationality and length of stay. Please see below for more details of the different immigration permissions. Any EU/EEA students who have been in the UK before the 31 December may be eligible for the EU Settlement Scheme which means you do not need a visa to study in the UK, more information can be found on our Advice for EU students webpage.

Apply for a Student Route Visa if you are attending Birmingham for more than 6 months

If you are planning to study for a full academic year or longer than 6 months in the UK then you will need to apply for a Student Route visa in your home country before travelling. If you are staying for less than 6 months but also plan to volunteer or work here, you will also need a Student Route visa.

Please visit the UK Government website for more information on Student Route Visas as well as our dedicated information page.

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies

Before you can apply for a Student Route visa you will need your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies number which is issued to you directly via Admissions. You can begin your visa application 6 months before your study start date.

Biometric Residence Permits

As you will be studying with us for a year and on a Student Route visa, you will also be issued with a Biometric Residence Permit.

Once you have received your CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) number we advise you to use the  ‘alternative location’ code which is 2HE322 in the alternative location field in the BRP Collection Page within the visa application – this means you will then be able to collect your BRP card from the University of Birmingham campus.

Apply for a Standard Visitor Visa if you are attending Birmingham for less than 6 months

If you are coming to study at Birmingham for just one semester or for a programme that is less than 6 months then you should apply for a standard visitor visa. If you plan to extend your studies in the UK or wish to work, including undertaking work placements, then you should apply for a Student Route Visa.

Students from some countries are able to simply arrive in the UK with the appropriate documents. Students from other countries must apply in advance even for a Standard Visitor Visa. Further information on standard visitor visas is available on our dedicated web pages.

Travelling via the Republic of Ireland

We are aware that it may be more affordable to fly via the Republic of Ireland but this is not advised for students coming to the UK on a visa (Student Route or Standard Visitor Visa). There is no passport control between Ireland and the UK which means students who arrive via this route will not have the required UK stamp in their passports and will not be legally here in the UK. This will cause delays to starting study and students will incur additional expenses for trips out of the UK and back to validate their travel documents.