Background of the scheme
The Alumni Impact Fund - for students (formally known as Hands Up), is a pot of money that has been charitably donated to the University by Birmingham alumni. The fund is open to all students (individuals and groups) for applications to support student-led projects that are innovative and have a positive impact on the student community.
Launched in 2014, our alumni have funded more than 30 student lead projects, from mental health badminton to the building of a robot. Read more about projects funded in the past in our resources section.
How it works
We usually fund applications up to £2,000. However this year we are accepting applications for more than £2,000 if the project is truly exceptional and a supporting statement by the staff advocate is provided.
Following a set of criteria, students apply for the funding via an online application form. Shortlisted applicants are then invited to pitch their idea to a panel of alumni and university staff who agree on the distribution of funding. The panel will also choose several projects to bid to double their money. These students will be asked to submit a video showcasing why they should win the additional money. Videos will then be shared on our social media channels, with the video receiving the most ‘likes’ winning the additional funding.
To ensure that the funding is accessible to all students, some projects require a member of staff to act as an advocate. Students who apply either individually or as a group not affiliated to UBSport or the Guild of Students must provide the name of a staff advocate who can oversee the projects funding and expenditure.
As a staff advocate you will:
- Be able to provide a supporting statement if the application is for more than £2,000
- Be a University budget holder and signatory
- Hold any successful grants in your budget element 2 code
- Oversee and authorise expenditure
- Provide your element 2 code once funding has been allocated. The funds will be made available to you in an FSX distribution account under your local element 2 code - any unspent funds will be removed automatically at the end of the financial year
- Be responsible for ensuring the project meets University health and safety requirements and risk regulations, and University financial regulations
For any further queries please email Fiona Newell, Gift Accounting Manager: email@example.com