Decide what to do
Many people graduate without being certain of what they want to do in their careers.
The information below will help you to develop more of an understanding of what you would like to do in your career. Remember that you can get help from Careers Network for up to two years after graduating.
- Join the Making Career Choices Canvas course for guidance on picking the career option most suited to you.
- See what graduates from your degree subject have gone on to do by looking at the Destinations of Leavers of Higher Education survey results.
- Apply for a mentor to help you crystallise your career goals and plan your next steps by learning from a professional in industry – applications open in October and January each year.
- There are plenty of options that don't involve going into permanent paid employment. You don't have to jump into a career right away; recruitment agencies can help you pick up experience whilst working out what you would like to do longer term.
- Work experience isn't just for students; more and more people are finding that graduate work experience and internships can be a great way into a career. Find out about our graduate internships here.
- Taking time out can be a really good option – take a look at our taking time out webpages for information on what employers think and how other graduates have used their time out.
- Visit our time out and gap year resources web page for links to websites that provide information about taking time out to go travelling, volunteering abroad and in the UK, expeditions, paid work in the UK and abroad and short courses.
Register with us Get careers advice
- Take a look at our Working for yourself webpage to find out if this option is right for you.
- If you want to establish your own company, explore freelance work or have a portfolio career, see how our B-Enterprising team can help you.