Guild of Graduates and Alumni Association
The Guild of Graduates and Alumni Association (GGAA) was founded in 1906. All graduates and alumni of the University are automatically members.
While many alumni contribute to the University in numerous ways, including mentoring and donating, the GGAA is run by a committee of volunteers who are active in managing various aspects of the Guild. The GGAA is always looking for graduates and alumni who would like to become more involved.
Anyone interested in getting involved in the activities of the GGAA should contact the President by email: email@example.com
Notice of 114th Annual General Meeting
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the 114th Annual General Meeting of the University of Birmingham GGAA will be held on Zoom on Wednesday 28 October at 7.00pm to conduct the following business:
- President’s report
- Accounts for the year ended 31 August 2017.
- Report from the Development and Alumni Office
- Report from the Administrator of the Alumni Award
- Elections to the Guild of Graduates and Alumni Association’s Committee:
- Vice President
- Honorary Secretary/Treasurer
- Alumni Award Administrator
- 6 ordinary committee members
All Graduates of the University of Birmingham and Alumni are automatically Members of GGAA and are very welcome to join us and stand for election to join the committee
All members of GGAA are entitled to “attend” and vote at the A.G.M.
If you wish nominate yourself, please contact the President (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If you wish to “attend” the Annual General Meeting please contact the Vice President email@example.com in order to receive your joining invitation on Zoom.
30 September 2020
As stated in our constitution, our aims and objectives are:
- To support and further the interests of the University of Birmingham and its members
- To provide a means of communicating the views and interests of its members to the University
- To provide an organisation to inform and provide social activities for members
Activities of the President and committee members include:
- Representing GGAA at all Degree Ceremonies. A GGAA representative processes with the academic staff at Degree Congregation Ceremonies and at the end of the ceremonies, the graduates are led out of the Great Hall by that representative. These representatives are volunteers from the GGAA membership, and wear the Chain and Badge of the Guild of Graduates.
- Annual Reunion event. Held in September, it is open to all alumni of the University and is a wonderful opportunity to meet and renew old acquaintances back on campus. However, special invitations go out on anniversary years such as 25th, 30th, 40th or 50th and golden (alumni of more than 50 years ago). The GGAA works closely with DARO on this event, with committee members assisting with contacting alumni via telephone. On the day, there is a reunion lunch, AGM for the association, and talks and visits to Schools and Departments across the University.
- Representing the GGAA at various meetings, such as Court and the Annual Meeting. There is also an opportunity, open to all GGAA members, to attend the Annual Reception at the House of Lords. Court is a committee of the University Council, the University's supreme governing body, and responsible for the approval of the mission and strategic vision of the University.
- Alumni Awards administration. Each year a number of travel scholarships are awarded by the University to provide financial assistance to full-time registered students who wish to undertake worthwhile and original vacation projects. The Alumni Awards representative of the GGAA joins with representatives of the academic staff and Student Services to assess the submitted applications for the various awards against a range of criteria before allocating available funds to successful candidates.
- Hosting receptions at some events held on the University campus. In the past the association has hosted receptions for alumni attending conferences such as the ASE Conference and the BA Annual Meeting. Additionally GGAA representatives such as the tea and coffee reception at the Annual Reunion Event.